• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino Iguana Pics

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some updated pics of Diesel, my 3 year old rhino male.

[attachment=6684]
[attachment=6685]
[attachment=6686]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364157495.715761.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364157495.715761.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 169
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364157529.312767.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364157529.312767.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 167
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364157581.121931.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364157581.121931.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 154

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone.

He is by no means tame - I didn't get him as a small sized iguana so handling from the small size didn't occur and trust building was no where near as quick. He is quite flighty but has calmed down significantly. The most I've ever done is enter his cage to attempt hand feeding and he accepted, after several tries. I tried petting him while hand feeding and he backed off.

He is finally beginning to trust me. Slowly but surely, he will eventually tame down to where I can handle him on occasion - like I do with Buzz.

Sorry for the delayed response, didn't notice the posts in this thread.

TeguBuzz said:
Thanks everyone.

He is by no means tame - I didn't get him as a small sized iguana so handling from the small size didn't occur and trust building was no where near as quick. He is quite flighty but has calmed down significantly. The most I've ever done is enter his cage to attempt hand feeding and he accepted, after several tries. I tried petting him while hand feeding and he backed off.

He is finally beginning to trust me. Slowly but surely, he will eventually tame down to where I can handle him on occasion - like I do with Buzz.

Sorry for the delayed response, didn't notice the posts in this thread.

Yeah I've heard of people getting bit even when they had a "tame" rhino. Definitely an awesome animal though.
Any ideas on his size/weight?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
drool, drool. Man when I own my own place I am defiantly getting a rhino iggy.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd say he's about 3.5-4ft - weighs in at maybe around 10-12lbs. Not sure as I can't weigh and measure him exactly but when I got him and opened the bag a long time ago, the bag weighed a good 10lbs. He obviously weighs more than that now, haha. Beginning to girth up and gain muscle tone.

Chelvis -- it's definitely a must!

teguboy77

5 Year Member
He's looking good great job on taking care of all ur animals.He will keep putting on size and it will slow down with age he still very young.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
teguboy77 said:
He's looking good great job on taking care of all ur animals.He will keep putting on size and it will slow down with age he still very young.

He has big genetics in him according to Ty and the pics I've seen of his parents. He's not even 4 yet and he's already almost as long as Buzz but doesn't have the girth yet! A few years down the line he'll be one of those large looking rhinos you usually see in the wild, or so I hope.

Definitely a great iguana. How are yours doing?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
psychocircus91 said:
thanks for sharing. does he ever act aggressively or just flighty? Not something I'd like to get bitten by lol.

He no longer acts aggressively, he did the first couple weeks I had him. He would charge the walls towards me - mouth gaping, haha. That attitude has subsided, and he is now slightly flighty. He tolerates me in his enclosure to hand feed but won't accept being touched yet.

TeguBuzz said:
psychocircus91 said:
thanks for sharing. does he ever act aggressively or just flighty? Not something I'd like to get bitten by lol.

He no longer acts aggressively, he did the first couple weeks I had him. He would charge the walls towards me - mouth gaping, haha. That attitude has subsided, and he is now slightly flighty. He tolerates me in his enclosure to hand feed but won't accept being touched yet.

I love the greens (and morphs) and rhinos, but they are definitely animals I am intimidated by. Maybe some day.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Such a handsome lizard. Looks great. I have a friend with a rhino iggy named Walter who is rather friendly. I have also had the (dis)pleasure of being mauled by a green iggy and I can tell you, it ain't much fun.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dragonmetalhead said:
Such a handsome lizard. Looks great. I have a friend with a rhino iggy named Walter who is rather friendly. I have also had the (dis)pleasure of being mauled by a green iggy and I can tell you, it ain't much fun.

I feel you on that one. You mauled by a green iguana and myself mauled by our croc monitor that we no longer have as he's been rehomed to a reptile zoo locally. Happened years back, came out with several stitches to my upper leg. Spent some time on crutches, and he was a rather tame croc too. First and only time he had ever attacked anyone, my father cared for him for years before he became my responsibility!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Couldn't agree with you more. He was completely "tame" the following encounters I had with him too. I made a mistake and faced the consequences, never made that sort of mistake again after that. They have the power to put us in a hospital bed - all large lizards, and some people fail to understand that. Even though Buzz is as tame as a dog, I enter his enclosure with caution every time. If he seems at all irritated on any day, I leave him be. With this rhino, I'm giving him the space he wants and taking things slower than ever. I've had him for quite some time and have yet to handle him - hopefully one day he'll be at the level of "tameness" Id like for him to be at.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
TeguBuzz said:
teguboy77 said:

He has big genetics in him according to Ty and the pics I've seen of his parents. He's not even 4 yet and he's already almost as long as Buzz but doesn't have the girth yet! A few years down the line he'll be one of those large looking rhinos you usually see in the wild, or so I hope.

Definitely a great iguana. How are yours doing?

I have a new russets rhino line hatchling from rob ehrig,but at the time just the russets hatchling.Thx for asking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi