• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

roach diet

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Blaptica will pretty much eat anything. You can make your own food or buy commercial feed found at a number places online specifically made for roaches. Make sure whatever you feed them that it is high in protein. They tend to eat eachother if not getting adequate amounts. I have only had my colony for a few months but I have been feeding them a mix of oatmeal and ground up turtle pellets I had left over. A few times a week I also give them fruits and veggies (grapes, blueberries, bannana, lettece, potato). I have also fed them left over dinner meats and what not. Just make sure not to leave in fruits and other wet items because mold will form and kill them. So it's good practice to remove the wet fruits in a day or two. You can also feed them commercial fish flakes, cat/dog food, apples, bran/oats, gutload formulas, cricket diets etc. I also use water crystals for their water source. This way no babies can drown and it's mold resistant. :)

redtail2426

5 Year Member
I feed mine a mix of 1 cup uncooked oats, 1 cup all natural cat food with no color dyes or preservatives, and a 1/4 cup of tropical fish flakes. I just put all that in a blender a wala roach food. Then for there water I have a plastic test tube I got form the pet store that is used for giving birds water I just fill that with water and put 2 wet cotton balls in the end and lay it on its side and they drink from that with no problems. I also throw in fruits and veggies here and there and those get gobbled up before you can even say mold.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've read you can soak an orange in water for a few hours (to soften the rind?) and they'll devour it in about an hour. Haven't tried it yet.

Sammy

5 Year Member
I use a high quality all natural dog food that is 20%-22% protein. I grind it up in the blender into a powder. Stay away from anything that has red dye #40 in it.

I also give them whatever fresh fruits and veggies we have sitting around twice a week and once a week I will give them a little bread.

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
ah great cause my dad is not gonna be ok with dog food going into his blender.lol.
:p

LOL... yeah I bet he wouldnt.

I picked up an old blender at a yard sale for $1 just for grinding dog food. Yard sales are a herpers candy store.

dicy

5 Year Member
i feed my dubias fruit mostly usualy aple banana carrots kiwi sumthimes sum orange i havnt had these dubias for long but they r breeding like crazzy rabbits

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
ah thats great!!I just got my dubias..I bought 50 mediums,with 5 adult pairs so hopefully I will have me a colony by the time I get my tegu.

AB^

5 Year Member
My roach/insect diet includes:

chick starter
ground up rodent lab blocks
ground up high protein fish flakes
then I mix in calcium and vitamin supplements.

I use fresh fruits and veggies the night before feedings
which include carrots and romaine lettuce.

I will also toss some raw ground turkey in once in a while.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980