• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

roach question

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm looking to the not so distant future where these little crickets won't make a good insect part of Boon's diet.

What's a good roach I can get ahold of in florida? I've read that many specias aren't legal to import?(a link to the roach laws/restrictions for florida would be awesome - I can't seem to find that information) Also, are roaches something that adult tegus tend to ignore or would starting a small colony be viable as a part of Boon's diet even when he's huge? I was thinking maybe a small colony of hissers or some other large species might tempt even a large tegu. Sorry to bombard ya'll with so many questions in the same post.. feel free to answer any, all, or none :-D

cheers

Beazer

5 Year Member
I am not sure of suppliers in Florida or if its worth the risk for me to say order off the net anyways cause you guys seem to have tight customs. If you are going to breed roaches for your tegu though, get a variety of large roaches. Hissers take a looong time to breed, discoids are faster and cheaper, fusca are "eh", dubia you can try some, and I am not sure of what else. Theres another large roach that breeds well other than discoids but i cant remember. Good luck with your search, maybe try craigslisrt/arachnoboards (its a forum).

-Jon DeLong

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I agree with Beazer. Discoids are what I use and I love them. They are a good meaty feeder and they do well. The deaths head roach gets bigger and breeds about the same. They get Hisser size but they are expensive. This site can help you answer alot of your questions. This guy is amazing but he is expensive. But he is good. I ordered from him a few years ago. Sammy Gregg used to sell them . I think he has stopped now. I have some not many larger ones I can't feed. I can hook you up with some to get a colony started. All mine are nymphs. I traded off the adults. I feed the small ones to the geckos. When they out grow the geckos . I put them off for breeders. Anyway here is the link to the site.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blaberus.com/index.html">http://www.blaberus.com/index.html</a><!-- m -->

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks you two for the info. I really appreciate the offer Harvey but until I can find out what roaches can be imported to florida I have to pass :(. Definitely not worth you getting in trouble if they're a banned species. I'm still searching for these roach laws to try and find out what the deal is..

Beazer

5 Year Member
Just have it shipped to a good friend in a neighboring state and then have them drive it over and meet up in your state. Its shady yeah, but whos gonna know. :twisted: lol.

-Jon DeLong

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah right.. I don't exactly have the best luck with the law :( . I'd be the one pulled over for a random check with a box of illegal roaches in my passenger seat. :bolt . Besides, I don't know anybody in Georgia that'd be down with bug trafficking.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I checked out blaberus.com and emailed them about what I could get in florida. Two days later I got my starter colony of hybrids(b. fuscas x b. craniifer). These guys are crazy lookin and huge(still nymphs). Can't wait till they start breeding and I can hook Boon up with a few. Anyway, if somebody else is looking into roaches blaberus.com is definitely solid. Good stuff!

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
LOL Why of course they are solid. I recommended them. LOL I knew if you ever contacted him . He would take care of you. Glad to hear you got things straight. Welcome to the world of roach keeping.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
True, thanks Harvey for pointing me towards them. Always nice when your first experience shipper is a good one. Being the weirdo I am I counted all the roaches as I deposited them into their container and noticed I got a few extra too :-D

Cheers

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah Blaberus.com is legit. I plan on swapping out my dubia's eventually for some fusca's or cranifer. Maybe hybrids, do they get bigger than the normals? I will be ordering from Blaberus as well. They have all the tough to find species.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602