• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Roaches illegal

nepoez

5 Year Member
Haha.. I always read about how great they are and finally ordered a bunch to breed. Finally the store contacted me today and told me that they can't ship to me because they are actually illegal in Canada. Just incase anyone else is from Canada here and think this would be interesting. I learned something new... time to find an alternative...

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Start an underground roach club. Have someone secretly send them labeled "grandma's dentures" or something. Then breed them privately for your animals :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

nepoez

5 Year Member
haha...man I really hate crickets they really stink.. and my tegu won't eat super worms... not sure if I like feeding it turket because it's not whole food, so is mice everyday unhealthy? probably right?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Quail chicks are better. And if you go online haretoday.com they have ground whole prey foods like rabbit that has bones and organs etc. Other forum members order from them.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
It was once explained to me that technically all insects are illegal to import into Canada, however, beings as certain ones have been traded for so long (crickets, mealworms, etc.) that the law just kind of looks the other way with regards to some. This being said, though, there are certain types that they definitely do pay attention to in an attempt to circumvent potential problems - cockroaches being one of these groups.

With regards to a rodent heavy diet, as luck would have it I was in direct communication with a vet this week concerning a lack of gut motility in tegus. While veterinarians are definitely in favour of whole prey diets, they've been encountering more and more tegus that are plugged up with rodent fur. I wouldn't want to say rodents are bad, per se, but there's definitely concern amongst vets that with heavy rodent diets and possibly other husbandry issues, there seems to be increasing frequency of tegus impacted with rodent fur. Something to consider.

nepoez

5 Year Member
hm... I bought some pinkies today which I know he'll eat, but not sure if it's healthy, and some horn worms(hope he will eat it), and some more super worms(my 3rd attempt).

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I honestly didn't feed many insects. I tried roaches for like a week and crickets less than 5 times. It doesn't seem cost effective to me and at the rate tegus grow, there doesn't seem to be much of a point. I stuck to whole prey and various meats.

By cost effective, the crickets always died. Not that crickets are expensive. Or they would get out and I'd watch my dogs hunt them..

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I only gave niles some crickets when he 'woke up ' from hibernation, to try to trigger a feeding response. Other than that I gave him meat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602