• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sad :(

Nikki Gregory

So this first day I got him out of his box he was sent to me in and I held him he was great. Yesterday I got home from work and tried to get him out and he bolted a couple times I eventually got him and held him for about an hour and he just hung out on my chest under my sweater but today he is getting all huffy and puffy with me and wiggling his tail at me :( did I ruin things by catching him?

Attachments

• C2C0435C-DB3E-4EDD-82B3-9136E397FC52.jpeg
    C2C0435C-DB3E-4EDD-82B3-9136E397FC52.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 19

bsshig40

They are pretty docile when first getting one thats been mailed. The temps were probably a lot cooler during shipping then he is used to from where he came from. More than likely he just got his body temp up and is now acting normal. Lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Check threads. You'll see that initially they're docile, then they realize the're in a new place, which is very stressful for them. So, they hide for a week or so until they feel more comfortable in their new home and routine.

My advice is to talk to him, place a worn shirt in his hide, and work around him in his enclosure without rushing handling.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just remember you've turned the little guys entire world on its end and changed every aspect of what it once knew, be a little patient and build things up slowly.

Leezard

5 Year Member
Spending time with your little guy is the best tip I can give. Try singing songs to him, or just simply putting your hand in his cage without grabbing or chasing him, when he's out you can wrap him up in a towel or fuzzy blanket and hold him that way. I've found if you remove some of the sensory overload that they feel upon entering an open room or area they will calm much more quickly

BucknerCrestExotics

My two cents is when ever I get new animals especially young animals I leave them be for a couple of weeks till they are confident in their new enclosure before attempting handling. I start by tong feeding that way they come to you. Tegus are very food driven and very curious by nature. Soon you will find your baby coming out and greeting you once they hear your voice. Remember you are on thier time no need to rush.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some are born to be lap dogs, others, not. That's why patience and being deliberate with routine and action are key.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602