• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Samus, growing like a weed!

goodtimes

5 Year Member
I figured I would give Samus a dedicated post.
Here are some pics I just took. The tile is 16x16, and the cup is the one Samus came in from DaveDragon.[attachment=2][attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 23
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 8
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 9

goodtimes

5 Year Member
[attachment=2][attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 7
  • IMG_1549.jpg

goodtimes

5 Year Member
[attachment=2][attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
  • IMG_1553.jpg
  • IMG_1552.jpg

goodtimes

5 Year Member
OK last ones. I am unfortunately not going to be able to continue this after mid February. I am going to Antarctica for 8 months for work. Fortunately I have an awsome family that are all animal lovers as well that will be taking very good care of my Famimals....my brother will take Samus, my parents will take my two Ball Pythons ( Nigel and Pal ) and my lovely lady friend will take my Kenyan Sand Boa ( Pedo ). So hopefully my Brother will become a member of the forum and keep you all posted on Samus's well being and growth![attachment=1][attachment=0]
I am glad they will be in good hands, but at the same time I am super bummed out that I will miss all the growing up of Samus and also Nigel and Pal are breeding (pretty sure Nigel is prego already) so I will miss the magic of the hatching. Pal is a Lemon Pastel Male and Nigel is a Normal female, but who now what may be lurking in those geans???? My Mom is pretty into the snakes so they will be in good hands as well and my Dad is very attentive so I am not worried about them. Skype works from down there so maybe I can chat with my pets that way hahahahaha!

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 6

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man nice looking tegu there... he looks so much bigger than my little girl, lol. Antartica wow man i'm jelous but i thought i was crazy for moving to Arkansas for 7 months. Glad to hear ur family will look after ur pets!

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Thanks,
as far as Antarctica goes, I will be working for Raytheon as support for the many different scientific research projects going on down there. I will get to visit New Zealand during transit and I have wanted to go there for a long time.....can't beat a free trip.

Samus is so freaking awsome I am sure gonna miss the little bugger!
Thanks DaveDragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what is the deal about removing the tegu from their burrow or hide? I do it from time to time for various reasons and Samus doesn't seem to really mind, but am I causing some damage I am not aware of????

I will get some pictures of my other Famimals up soon.

By the way "The Kills" are pretty cool!

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Your nor supposed to remove them from thier hides because they will have a hard time getting used to thier surroundings if they can't get away from it all. I don't even remove my leopard geckos from thier hides. Not because they will become shy or aggressive it's just respect for thier privacy. If they want to be seen they will come out.

By the way im loving your blue! I'm getting tempted to buy one AHH I keep saying this is the last one lol.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Well looks like I will be around to see Samus grow and such. Last minute Technicalities prevented me from deploying to Antarctica this season. On one hand I am super bummed out and on the other stoked to be with my family (human and animal). I will keep posting from time to time. Cheers every one! :roon

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
goodtimes said:
Samus is so freaking awsome I am sure gonna miss the little bugger! Thanks DaveDragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what is the deal about removing the tegu from their burrow or hide? I do it from time to time for various reasons and Samus doesn't seem to really mind, but am I causing some damage I am not aware of????
You probably got the best one out of the clutch!

As long as he trusts you and doesn't freak out, I don't see why you can't dig him up. I do it with no problems.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
So I just feed Samus a nice sized mouse and measured him/her.......23 inches! Not too bad right. Samus is doing great, a little attitude from time to time (mostly when hungry), but not aggresive at all toward me. I have noticed a new " put me down " technic I call the alligator roll. Any one else see this with their tegu? As I was typing I was informed that Samus was doing a little gymnastics.....evidently he/she jumped up and grabbed onto the cord for one of the lights and had a little hang time before doing a release and twist for the landing. I guess I had better put another cable staple up on that cord before someone gets hurt.

If you have a Blue from Dave, how big is it now?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
goodtimes said:
Samus is doing great, a little attitude from time to time (mostly when hungry), but not aggresive at all toward me. I have noticed a new " put me down " technic I call the alligator roll. Any one else see this with their tegu?
Yep, Tegu's can do the Death Roll just like a gator! It's not a big deal when they're small, but when a 3 to 4 foot Tegu does the Roll it's gets a little interesting! I loosely hold the base of the tail with my left index finger and thumb, put the left leg between the 2 middle fingers of my right hand and the right thumb holds back the right leg. If they start to flail I can sort of control the front feet. If they Roll, the loose grip of the left hand lets them spin, just keep the right hand under them and maintain some control. This does not work with a Tegu bigger than 4 feet unless you have some huge hands!

Adam87

5 Year Member
you mean the death roll yea aparently lizards do that too my iguana does it all the time its so annoying but goodlookin blue he/she is deffentaly gettin big fast

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Thanks! I can't imagine controlling a four foot Samus doing the roll :shock: , It is a new thing and hopefully becomes an old thing before too long ( size and time ).

Another kinda funny thing is when I feed Samus rodents or large roaches He/She will grab them and thrash a bit then run around with them pushing into the walls of the feeding tub until what appears to be exhaustion. Then the actual eating begins. This is not the case with turky, eggs, fish, ect. just the live stuff. Is it normal? It's almost like a little kid running aroung showing off the new stuff while, at the same time, playing keep away.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our female Blue will make sure her rodents are well dead before she eats them. She's torn a few in half, spewing guts all over the place!!

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Yeah, I was thinking that was the case. The other day I gave Samus a full grown Hisser Roach. It took about fifteen minutes to get it dead and eaten, quite the show. Samus would act like He/She was done messing with it and start to walk away then all the sudden turn around and charge the roach and attack for a bit, then repeat. I will just say he (getting tired of the he/she thing), He hated the legs touching his face. He would throw the roach around and avoid too much contact until it was pretty much dead. When he was just about out of steam I put him back in his house to bask a bit and get a second wind putting the almost dead roach on his basking tile with him and a few seconds later I found Samus basking with Hisser hanging half way out of his mouth like a giant stoggy. It was hilarious. He even closed his eyes for a bit before swallowing the rest down. Good Stuff!!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol i posted about this a few days ago my tegu does the same with rodents even though they are always dead. she never did this with pinks or other food. btw beautiful tegu i may soon own one of his siblings if all goes well!

goodtimes

5 Year Member
[attachment=0][attachment=1][attachment=2]

Attachments

• 049.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 6
  • 022.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 10
  • 050.JPG

Members online

No members online now.