• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Savannah monitor uvb?

TheKid12

Does anyone keep there savy with out uvb? I have heard/read that Savannah monitors do not need uvb in order to thrive. I even know a couple of people who keep there savy with out uvb and they are happy/healthy as can be, So do any of you guys do this. Or can point me towards article that states they do not need uvb.

I know the site name is Tegutalk, but this is the closest/active forum i could find related to Savannah monitors.

G

Your Savannah needs UV light unless it is kept outside in the sun ...

Young animals need it more than old but in my opinion they should always [except at night ] Have access to UV light ..

Bulbs need changed frequently also ..

G

some say its bennificial others say it isn't. it doesnt hurt the lizard so i've got mine under uvb, might as well lol. if theres a chance it will help with heath ill take it!

G

savannahmonitor.org has a lot of info. im on my phone atm but i can post more links for you if that site doesnt give you the info u need

G

savannahmonitor.org has a lot of info. im on my phone atm but i can post more links for you if that site doesnt give you the info u need

TheKid12

Pro exotics does not use uvb either, and they know what they are talking about.

Here is a link to the care sheet where the even say they do not use Uvb

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://proexotics.com/care_savannah.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://proexotics.com/care_savannah.html</a><!-- m -->

From what i gather as long as you offer a decent diet with calcium supplements uvb is not needed for a healthy savy.

What is the best subsrate for savy's that you can pick up at a local ace hardware or petco. I plan on using eco earth is that good?

G

Eco earth is great for a savannah, that's what I use. It will hold a burrow if kept moist and is clean(no fertilizers or pesticides to worry about). You need a substrate that can kind of pack down a little bit so the sav can dig, they love to dig and burrow. The deeper you can make it the better.

G

My personal belief is that if the animal is naturally diurnal and basks frequently in the wild, then provide that species with UVB.

G

I agree with Little wise owl ..

While they may not die with out it how can it be good for any basking animal not to have access to natural sunlight [or equivalent ] ..??

TheKid12

I am currently using no uvb at all,i supplment the dubia roaches i feed and he gets 3rodents a week,i talked too two expert monitor keepers at the last two expos i went to (Hamburg PA and The Westchester expo) they both said,they do not need uvb and they kept and breed there monitors for years with no uvb,except on the Hatchlings and thats only for about a few months. Monitors do not need uvb and there are many healthy monitors deprived of uvb and still do great.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.savannahmonitor.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.savannahmonitor.org/</a><!-- w -->

try this.

G

Why ask if you're sure they don't require it? lol

I'd personally feed less rodents, more invertebrate while providing a UVB bulb.

Seeing as they're primarily insectivorous species they're not receiving much Vitamin D from their insect prey. There's also simply not enough Vit. D in the vertebrate prey they're consuming either.

Again, I'd provide a UVB so it's receiving the optimum amount of UVB created D3.

You're trying to keep the species as healthy as possible. Why cut corners?

I find that many Varanus don't seem to live that long in captivity because of this reason. So many owners cutting corners.

Not saying you're a bad owner... but it's just almost like you're looking for someone to say what you're doing is okay. From my research, not providing UV will let the species SURVIVE, but not exactly thrive.

Just my $0.02

TheKid12

@boozer,great link but notice this was said,
"The option to provide or not provide UVB lighting to monitors in general has been a longstanding debate. We often hear many keepers swear by only providing whole foods and not needing UVB, and other keepers swear their monitor simply â??does betterâ? with UVB lighting. To stay out of the realm of opinion and even experience, we try to confine discussion to biological fact."

There has been sucess on both sides of the fence with this one,both keepers who provide uvb and those who do not,the real reason lives are cut short with monitors is the the diet they are feed in captivity.They say the way the monitor receives the calcium is up to the keeper and i choose healthy diet.

@Little wise owl, notice i asked this question january 31 it is now feb 26 almost a month later,at first i was uncertain but after a little research i am sure,monitor can thrive with out uvb,so aslong as i provide a healthy diet of rodents and supplemented insects,mostly all monitor keepers keep them with out uvb and they are healthy.I plan to let him receive all his calcium through his diet which is one of the ways they can as said on the site boozer provided. This debate on no uv or not has been on going for years the only way to stop it i guess is for me to buy another sav's of equal size/age and same gender and keep one with uv and the other with out and see what happens.

I could honestly give you dozens of links to healthy long lived monitors with out uvb and a healthy diet.

I also recently read this,
"People seem to think that the only method that a heliothermic lizard has to metabolize the calcium in their diet is through vitamin D3 sythesis in their skin via exposure to UVB rays when in fact that is their secondary method. Their main method of calcium metabolization is via heat. When allowed access to a proper basking temp ( over 130F but under 160F) monitors have no problems metabolizing calcium"

G

Rodents should only be fed rodents sparingly as Varanus exanthematicus is an insectivorous species though...

" the Savannah Monitor is an invertebrate feeder and had fed on mammals with a frequency of less than .2%. If the animal feeds primarily on insects and mollusks in the wild, why feed it anything else in captivity?" - Savannahmonitor.org

Can you please provide the source of where it's stated that heat is more important for metabolizing calcium?

I was just having this conversation with someone else on a separate forum... I'd be more inclined to believe that you can get away with a lack of UV if a Savannah Monitor was a vertebrate feeder and received vitamin D from its food sources but since it's not... It'd be safer to provide a UV lamp.

This is a good article: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hubpages.com/hub/Ultraviolet-Light--Vitamin-D--and-Reptile-Health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://hubpages.com/hub/Ultraviolet-Lig ... ile-Health</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744