• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Scrambled eggs

LizardStudent

I started offering my girl various items like cooked egg and chicken hearts/liver pretty soon after I got her when she was a month and a half old. At that young she wouldn't really touch vegetables but I got her to occassionally eat bits of grapes. I would try giving her whole prey or meat options as soon as they are large enough to eat them. Insects are a large staple of a baby tegus diet, but their diet should not consist of only dusted insects, it should be more varied for their health

kayesdawn

I started offering my girl various items like cooked egg and chicken hearts/liver pretty soon after I got her when she was a month and a half old. At that young she wouldn't really touch vegetables but I got her to occassionally eat bits of grapes. I would try giving her whole prey or meat options as soon as they are large enough to eat them. Insects are a large staple of a baby tegus diet, but their diet should not consist of only dusted insects, it should be more varied for their health
Ok ty

Member1421

Even though the breeder I got my tegu from definitely offered insects for the two months prior to our guy being delivered, he never ate one again since that day. I have offered a very varied diet from day one, and vegetables have always been a part of that mixed food. Nowadays I make literally rolls of meat and fruit and what not wrapped with a moistened piece/leaf of greens like collard and he eats it like a little lumpia.

In place of live insects I always mix in a little blue tongue gel mix I keep in the fridge as well as some dried crickets I have in a bearded dragon mix. They're a solid source of protein but I've never been a fan of the live insect thing in terms of taking them on as a second type of creature to feed, support and keep alive. It's good you're cooking your eggs, too, and you can find information on this forum why that is important. Never stop learning. Have fun, and good luck.

kayesdawn

Even though the breeder I got my tegu from definitely offered insects for the two months prior to our guy being delivered, he never ate one again since that day. I have offered a very varied diet from day one, and vegetables have always been a part of that mixed food. Nowadays I make literally rolls of meat and fruit and what not wrapped with a moistened piece/leaf of greens like collard and he eats it like a little lumpia.

In place of live insects I always mix in a little blue tongue gel mix I keep in the fridge as well as some dried crickets I have in a bearded dragon mix. They're a solid source of protein but I've never been a fan of the live insect thing in terms of taking them on as a second type of creature to feed, support and keep alive. It's good you're cooking your eggs, too, and you can find information on this forum why that is important. Never stop learning. Have fun, and good luck.
Ty

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Somebody should mention frozen/thawed prey such as pinkies (baby mice) as soon as he/she will take them. Then, gradually increase prey in size as they become adults. Hard for them to resist, and one of the best food sources. I use raw egg in a small bowl about twice a week or less. It's their catnip. They lap it up like a dog, and the problem with raw is only if you over-feed that every day. They naturally seek out eggs in the wild, and no one out there is cooking them.

I like Wanik4's idea of using the dried crickets, for the same reason he talked about. How much money have I lost over live cricket orders???? Hmmmm.... - my male that will be 4 this coming year won't touch live insects, never has.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced