• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Scratching at the window -any tips?

Lokilizard

Loki is getting into a habit of scratching, headbutting and launching himself at the window to get out of his tank. He can do this for ages until one of us gives in and opens his tank. We then let him walk out on to us and turn him round. He will start again within seconds!
Love him roaming around but if he had his way he wouldnt go back into the tank and would live outside forever! Which is sadly not good for him,
We thought about making a little spot with a uv bulb and heat pad in a corner in the living room… has anyone tried this? Any suggestions welcome- we are still learning!
C62D6EAD-3CAE-4F07-B254-2250ACBF219C.jpeg

Slendysin

Our tegu is more free roam than in her tank we have hardwood floors and multiple spots in the room where she can warm up her tank is almost always open for her to walk in or out at her will but we quickly found out that she will get into everything and anything so if you do let them free roam make sure that there is nothing that they can get into that can hurt them

Lokilizard

Our tegu is more free roam than in her tank we have hardwood floors and multiple spots in the room where she can warm up her tank is almost always open for her to walk in or out at her will but we quickly found out that she will get into everything and anything so if you do let them free roam make sure that there is nothing that they can get into that can hurt them

Brilliant thanks! Do you put heat matts and lamps around? What kind of set ups do you have?

Stellalife1

Brilliant thanks! Do you put heat matts and lamps around? What kind of set ups do you have?
How deep is his substrate? It should be atleast 1' deep so he can dig. Are his heat & humidity on point? Like it's not a mater of him getting too hot? Some tegus do not like to poop in their cages at all. If it is none of these things & it's just that he wants to come out, maybe just block around the front of his cage, kinda like a " front yard" so when u don't have time to let him free roam, he can still go in & out of his enclosure. Do you have
A large bin of water in his enclosure aside from his drinking water so he can soak if he chooses? Also you can give him some toys he can't eat. Some tegus will carry toys around also. You can also put news paper or puppy pads in 1 clear spot to see if he will go on them.

Stellalife1

We got 2 heat lamps and a large heat rock one lamp is in her tank one is in the closet and the rock sits in front of the window for a lil extra heat on sunny days
I don't. Other than her enclosure, I have a sun room that she likes to hang out in or I bring her in to my back yard that's fenced to let her explore ( supervised) or I bring her to my parents ( nextdoor) to hangout by the pool ( fenced in & supervised) in summer of course. When it is cool out I have a heater in my sun room.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam