• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding Issues.

VenusAndSaturn

So humidity has been quite low lately, I have been able to keep Oreos tank up to at least 30%, the room humidity is around 15-20%. I plan to add moss into her hides later today along with a few of my other humidity loving animals.
Usually in the summer time it stays up to around 70-90% inside without my dehumidifier on. With it on it stays at around 50% in my room.

Her shed is driving me crazy lately, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips to make this much more smooth for her and any other time its winter. Currently to help with this i've been spraying down her enclosure once a day, usually every other day or every two days I snap off a piece of Aloe Vera and rub some of it onto her body, tail, legs, etc. Which has been helping greatly, she doesn't exactly like it but it does seem to work well. I've also been adding cod liver oil to her food, just a small bit as she doesn't eat much as shes in a winter cool down, but I've read this can help with shedding?

I would bath her every day however the last time i bathed her, even after she was warmed up and active her body seemed to go into shock from the water and she wouldn't stop shaking for about an hour or so.
The water was fine, it wasn't cold or too hot and I didnt just throw her in there, I made sure to lower her gently down into it but for whatever reason it just went wrong.
I dont want her to experience that again so I've been avoiding it even though most likely it would help a ton with her stubborn shed.

So any ideas how i could prevent that from happening and anything else I could try?

Guman

How about a humidity box with warm vapors a few times a day? Moss had been helping my boy before he fell ill.

Zyn

My blue Sev just came out of his winter brumtion. He didn't come up for 4 months. Before he went down he needed to shed but went down anyway. This worried me but they don't grow or do much of anything while down so it didn't bother me that much. But when he came up last week he had two layers of stuck shed it was dry and thick and he visably was uncomfortable.

It took a week but it finally broke free yesterday. This so what I did.

First I built a humid hide it's simple, get a Rubbermaid cut a hole in it just large enough in the side for him or her to get in and out of. Add a wet towel or wet paper towels and let the heat cause a constant cycle of evaporation and condensation. Make sure to keep the lid on it and flip it upside down.

Second an hour long bath daily followed by rubbing coconut oil "the kind you cook with" all over their skin and let it sit for a few minutes before putting them back into their enclosure. This looks in the mosture of the bath. Without it, it's almost worse because it'll dry their skin out even more. Think chapped lips after you lick them in the winter. Yeah it helps at the moment but makes it worse in the long run.

Up their vitamin and calcium intake. Along with increasing their cod liver oil. I was dipping his whole prey in it.

Once they do show signs of shedding put them in them in the bath and let the skin get soft then use a soft tooth brush to gently rub the skin in the direct the scales would normally shed in.

Last edited:

Zyn

As far as the shaking goes when she's in warm water. If she's trying to go down for winter and stay down. And you put her in warm water, you're putting her system into a state of shock. If shes not coming up on her own I'd leave her alone.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A humid hide with moist sphagnum moss and fish oil in food on a regular basis.

VenusAndSaturn

I'll see if I have any tubs I could use for her that has lids for a humid hide.
I will also do my best to leave her be, it just worries me so much since shes so young but she hasn't lost too much weight yet which is a good sign.
I'm more used to beardies and them not going down at a early age so it is a bit nerve wrecking even though i knew this was a possibility.

VenusAndSaturn

full
full

I finally found a good sized tub for her, the entrance isn't entirely smooth but it isn't sharp so its good enough. I put 3 plastic bags around the outside to make it darker on the inside. I'm not sure if it really does much for keeping humidity in but it does keep some light out. I'll see if my mom can pick some more moss up sometime this week as I'd somewhat like the sides to be covered up so she feels safer inside. I didn't have much left inside the box.
I think I may have a bag of sphagnum moss somewhere thats used for plants that I may be able to use. I doubt theres anything harmful in there and I'd separate everything in a tub of water before I put it in.

VenusAndSaturn

Oreo's been out all day wondering around so I took her out and her shed already looks like its about to pop off. I guess all she needed was that large amount of increased humidity. Wonder how hard it'll be finding the right sized tub as she ages.

As for honey do you mean just regular any honey? Or raw unpasteurized honey?

Guman

I will try the honey after Ragu gets better. About a fourth of the way up his tail has not finished sheding. I have used the coconut oil and humidity is up in his little special care box. He is in a plastic tub with humidity and light piped in. The doctor did not want him back in his original pen yet. I will be glad when he is because trying to keep temp and humidity correct is a full time job along with shots, feeding, and soaking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam