• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding Problem

Boidae

A little worried about my tegu.

She retained a shed and I think I may have waited a little too long to see if it would loosen on it's own. I have soaked her in a coconut oil bath and that didn't do anything. Today I soaked her and then rubbed her down with coconut oil and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. We were able to loosen some it to get it off, but not much. She also looks like she swallowed too much water and was throwing it up and/or it was coming out her vent.

There is sphagnum moss in her hide and the humidity is up around 70-75% at it's most humid.

She looks like she is slowing down to brumate as she has backed off how much she eats. Yesterday it was less than a quarter of a full meal, so I'm not sure that cod liver oil will help at this point and none of my local shops have it in the liquid form.

What else can I do?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bathing and moust sphag in her hide might be it for the next several months.

Throwing up water bothers me. Any iidea what initiated that?

Boidae

Bathing and moust sphag in her hide might be it for the next several months.

Throwing up water bothers me. Any iidea what initiated that?

I might have agitated her and I probably pressed a little too hard on her abdomen when holding her. She did it a few times, but I just think she wasn't a happy camper.

She's about to go down for brumation, I'm not sure how much bathing I can do once she does that. Also, if there is still stuck shed, will she be alright to brumate?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends. Could be sleeping in moistened but not wet sphag may do it. You can rouse her in a month to see how things are looking. She may come out sometimes and brumation time beginning and end and time total vary quite a bit.

Keep a watch.

Boidae

It depends. Could be sleeping in moistened but not wet sphag may do it. You can rouse her in a month to see how things are looking. She may come out sometimes and brumation time beginning and end and time total vary quite a bit.

Keep a watch.

Thank you!

Going by last year, when we purchased her she was already down for the breeder. When we got her home, she went right under and unless I messed with her, we didn't see her till April. She was purchased on December 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam