• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding problems

Jade Conley

My Argentin red tegu has some stuck shed and I was wondering if anyone had some tips to help fix this. My humidity is a little lower than recommend but currently fixing this.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Fish oil and a moist, not wet, refuge will do wonders.

Those should help for sure, but in the longer term. To get rid of stuck shed that should have already come off, give your tegu a long soak, dry off and apply coconut oil to those areas directly after. Let it soak in for 15 minutes and then it should peel off pretty well.

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
I think I am currently going through the same problem except it looks like he is not shedding properly. my humidity is 80% tank is 115 basking side and 77 cool side. ive tried soaking but it isnt really helping. should i rub him in the fish oil or feed him fish oil?

Samara Gagne

Coconut oil is a good product too, to give your 'gu a rub down. One thing to try, though it can be a pain in the ass is get a submersible turtle filter and pop it in a deep water dish; the constant water agitation will increase humidity. I say it can be a pain because they can tend to clog depending on your substrate, but they rinse quickly and easily. You could also start popping your lizardface in the bathroom with you when you shower to give a boost in humidity. Plus it would be good for bonding and routine. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tegunation

Give him a warm bath. Fill it up about a foot or so just so he can stick his neck out. In about 15 minutes or so you'll see all the pieces of shed floating. Make sure you mist down the enclosure with warm water also mist the tegu and make sure you get him feet really well that way they dont lose a toe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam