• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should I brumate my blue tegu?

TR3S

Hi, good day! I'm new here. Been keeping my tegus for over a year now and I'm planning to breed my male blue tegu to a red.

Based on what I read online, blue tegus doesn't need to brumate if you want to breed them, because they are naturally found near the equator where the temperature doesn't go down as low. I just set his, day light timer from 12 hours a day to 8 hours a day for three months.

However, I brumated my red tegu for three months. I live in a tropical country so I used a makeshift "brumator" using a peltier cooler with heat sinks and fans, the cooling chamber stayed below 20°C (68°F) throughout the entire duration.

Last March, I tried to introduce them and left them together for around a week. I can see that the female was interested in breeding, she was dragging her cloaca all around the enclosure, yet the blue male doesn't show any interest in breeding. In April, I tried to place the male again in the red's enclosure, but now both doesn't show any signs of breeding behavior. Last month, around first week of May, I tried to introduce them again, but this time the male is pursuing the female, and sadly the female shows no interest. But I'm still hoping that there was a successful lock, there were times I saw the blue is on top of the red, but haven't saw an actual copulation. Now, the female does not look gravid or showing any signs of nest building.

It seems that their "breeding season" are not matched; that's why I plan to brumate both my blue and red with the hopes that I can successfully breed them next year.

So with all that said, should I brumate my blue tegu? Is it safe for a blue tegu to brumate at the same temperature as the reds?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_152315.jpg
    IMG_20201103_152315.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member