• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should I pull him from his hide?

Mateeka

Okay so i have had my tegu for about a month now, and I think we are about 8mths old. I know he came out of Miami but other than that I'm not sure where the pet store acquired him. I don't believe he is been handled much he does do the death roll and tail whipping although since I've had him he is getting much better. My question is most of the time he is under his hide box. I put food in the cage in the morning and he does come out and eat it at some point during the day however he seems to pick times to come out and eat when he knows I am not around. For bonding purposes I know pulling them from their safe spot is not a good idea however I seriously feel like he is never out for me to grab him and bond with him. So what I am asking is it absolutely horrible if I pull him from under his hide in order to get him used to being held and around me? I have done it a few times just to give him a bath to make shedding go easier. He doesn't seem to like it but I've never had him try and bite.

Mateeka

Where's he from, how big/ old?
From a pet store. They said they get them out of Miami. That's all i know. He is about 18" with tail

Attachments

• 20181212_182450.jpg
    20181212_182450.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At this time of year he/she will be slowing down and should actually go into hibernatation (not all do), but the days you know that it has being out to eat or bask I see no reason why you can't gently ease it out for some bonding time and a bath (I did it with Alpha)...If any signs of aggression pressent themselves or he/she stops eating or coming out I would stop straight away.

It's a fine line to balance this time of year especially with a new Gu and theres only you that can read the situation.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Typically shy at first, and as AA says, a fine balance as brumation approaches. Will be more sudden coming north from Miami.

James Smith

I am just as new to my Tegu as you are. I would start keeping the enclosure open and sit there with the food outside the enclosure. Eventually he will smell the food and come out to eat. Do this at the same time every day, consistency is very important. Each day move the food closer and closer to you. DO NOT TOUCH...; you need to build trust between the two of you. It goes both ways. Talk softly and calmly to him. Then after awhile put your hand down near him but still do not touch. After awhile he will start telling you how far he is willing to go with you for the moment. Baby steps is the key here.

Good luck and God Bless.

Ginny Mastandrea

I am just as new to my Tegu as you are. I would start keeping the enclosure open and sit there with the food outside the enclosure. Eventually he will smell the food and come out to eat. Do this at the same time every day, consistency is very important. Each day move the food closer and closer to you. DO NOT TOUCH...; you need to build trust between the two of you. It goes both ways. Talk softly and calmly to him. Then after awhile put your hand down near him but still do not touch. After awhile he will start telling you how far he is willing to go with you for the moment. Baby steps is the key here.

Good luck and God Bless.
My Tegu that was fairly new at the time stayed under hier hide place. I took it away and she basks for hours and burrows. On one end I have very deep substrate so I can see her, talk to her and get her used to me more each day she doesn’t bite or tail whip but rolls when I pick her up. When she’s eating she lets me pet her and even peel the shed from her tail and feet I’m kind of amateur but taking the hide box away worked for me and she can burrow in seconds

WaterRaven

I tong feed Tabucca every feeding. She was a re-home and had been handled, but I started by putting my hand in the enclosure so she'd get used to it and then I would gently pull her out on feeding days and feed her in the bathroom. She'd go into the tub, eat, and then explore in close proximity to me. I started to offer my hand on feeding days and now she knows it means she's coming out to be fed and explore. Here's a video of her coming to the door to be picked up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqbDSfmloGe/

Just an instagram vid. I need someone else to take the vid next time so I can show her climbing up ^_^ I'm working on petting her while she eats now since she was really NOT interested in that the first time I tried it. We're at a tolerance stage now, so it seems I'm making progress :) I make sure she gets a couple good bites of food in before I pet her between offerings.

Probably went overboard here but I hope it helps ^_^

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam