• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sick tegu?

Tiamat

5 Year Member
Hello. I'm wondering if my male tegu is sick.

He:

-sits in his hide all day (it's on the warm side of cage, which is 110F.)

-I almost never see him eating . I saw him eat some egg once and that's that . I've tried crickets, ground turkey, cat food, "hopper" mice , cantaloupe, bananas and salmon . The only one I've actually seen him eat is egg and that was once or twice. He may eat the crickets but I can't tell if he's eating them or if they're just dying.

-he seems very lethargic

I've taken all sorts of steps to avoid brumation.

He's got 100 and 150 watt UVA /UVB bulbs (as well as several low watt fluorescent uvb bulbs).

I finally got the bulbs and ceramic heaters positioned so that it's 110 on one side and 78 on the other .

The lights are on a 12hr 12hr on/off timer (ceramic heaters stay on atat nightnight , though).

He has a water bath wide and deep enough to soak in .

I've had him since the fall so either his metabolism is really slow or he's eating something .

Only thing I can think of besides sickness is the size of the cage. I bought a 75 gallon aquarium and he's still pretty small.

Time for a trip to the vet?

Tiamat

5 Year Member
Oh and my female is not like this at all. She wakes up promptly at 7 when the lights go on, spends time outside the hide and unburrowed, readily eats when given food ,etc. ..

dpjm

5 Year Member
Are they in the same enclosure?

If you didn't use the ceramic heaters at night, how cool would it get in the enclosure?

Why do you use so many UVB lights in a small enclosure?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980