• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sizing up enclosures as tegus grow?

Maggie M

We just bought our baby tegu this past weekend! She's amazing, everything is awesome so far. We had a 80- gallon fish tank at home that was available, so we figured we would start her off in there and either buy or make a forever one as she slowly but inevitably will grow out of that space.

My question is, is it better to get her a forever enclosure (one that she will be able to use for the rest of her life, once she has grown out of this one in a few months(?)) or is it better to size up over time by getting another enclosure in between now and then that is bigger than the tank we have, and smaller than the big one we will ultimately have for her?

Also, what sizes are recommended? I've heard such a wide range of recommended tank sizes, as big as 8x3x4 and others more like 6x3... I'm sure bigger is (probably?) better but I'd like to see what most people have and suggest.

Thanks in advance!

VenusAndSaturn

The ideal minimum is 8x4x4 although 8x4x3 could work. Any smaller and it wouldn't work out too well, if you can go bigger than a 8x4x4 then that would be great and I strongly recommend doing so.
Honestly, I'd upgrade to the final enclosure as soon as you can, they enjoy the space as long as its setup correctly. I regret not just getting the adult enclosure when I first got my tegu, she would have been small in it for a bit but she would have loved all the space.

I personally dont really see a point in upgrading overtime unless for some reason you have to. Its just a waste of money in my opinion if the animal will do fine in a large enclosure thats setup properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced