• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Skinny Tegu Help!

Middylark

I have a female black and white around 3 feet long who for the time I have had her, has been very healthy and active. Around 6 months ago, I noticed that she has been very thin, so thin that I can see her spine and pelvic bones clearly.

She is still very active, and is willing to eat like crazy, so much in fact that I have been feeding her every day-- sometimes twice a day. She has a UVB and heat light in her enclosure, and is given fresh water every day.

We got her stool tested and she is clear of parasites, so otherwise she seems very healthy except for her weight loss. I will post pictures of needed. Is there any advice to get her weight back up? She is on mice to fatten her up, along with fruits, veggies, ground turkey, and eggs.

Thanks!

zarnach

Mine started to get skinny too. After many years of eating about 2-3x a week, I increased feeding frequency and started to include whole prey at least 2x a week minimum. After several months he is still skinny. That is when I decided to get out the tape measure and the tegu had grown 3" longer. It is weird to me to have an adult about the same size for years, then all of a sudden hit a growth spurt and got long and lean. I'm practically feeding every day now trying to add weight back to him. The main thing is to keep offering food and monitor activity level. Make sure the lighting is fresh (not old decayed bulbs). It sounds like you are doing well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744