• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sleeping Beauty

Murkve

Hey guys -

Long time, no post. I haven't been on lately because Sigourney has not been up lately. Here I went and built her a beautiful 8'x4' cage, filled it with 10" of dirt, and she goes to sleep 4 days later. Meh.

I miss her dearly, and would like to watch her start growing again. Plus, she went down with stuck shed over her back third. I probably shouldn't be worrying so much - but I am. I've been watching the activity indicators I designed, and she hasn't even come up to get a drink of water.

Anyway, I'm wondering when I can expect her up? She went down in late October/early November, which is about 1.5 months before the Solstice, so can I expect her up 1.5 months after the Solstice? Around early February? Or does it not work like that?

Also, when should I start increasing the light time? It's at about 4 hrs/day, right now. Should I gradually increase it (about 2 hrs/week) until it's at 12/12 again?

Thanks for any help!

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
[attachment=6079]If you are measuring Sigourney's hibernation according to the solstice, which is fine, you need to rearrange her cage furnishings. I can't remember the exact orientation, but it should look something like this. I cannot tell the precise day she will wake up, though.

Attachments

• Stonehenge ideal model.jpg
    Stonehenge ideal model.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4

Murkve

Dubya said:
If you are measuring Sigourney's hibernation according to the solstice, which is fine, you need to rearrange her cage furnishings. I can't remember the exact orientation, but it should look something like this. I cannot tell the precise day she will wake up, though.

Ha! That's perfect! Maybe a dose of ancient Druidic practices will awaken the Dragon from her slumber.

My thinking though was that the went down possibly due to length of day observed from the window in her room. Symmetry dictates that the day will be as long as it was in Halloween once early February rolls around.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
That actually looks pretty cool...haha.someone should make an enclosure with that in it. I can't because it would clash with my jack skellington theme :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Murkve

Holy crap!

I went to change her water just a few minutes ago and she was out laying just a few inches from her burrow! I opened the door and she dashed back in, but what does this mean? Do you guys think she's starting to come out of it? Of course I'll be watching for signs of life - and I've been steadily increasing the light time over the last few weeks, but I didn't expect her this early.

Her stats are:

Temps: 55-62 deg. F ambient, ~105 deg. F basking
Humidity: 50%-60% above ground (I would imagine it's higher in her burrow but I'm not measuring it)

She's been like a rock for the last 3 months. She has NEVER come out of her burrow until now. A sign of things to come? :) Should I turn on my heat bulb in response to this change in activity? I couldn't imagine that I should offer food yet. I'll plan on watching closely over the next couple weeks.

Also, and more importantly:

Are there any trouble signs I should look for?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would turn on the heat and have it setup as if she was out normally. I would give it a few days before offering food, if she it out every day over the next few days than give it a shot.

Murkve

She's walking around a bit, but is really wobbly and seems weak/lethargic. Is this normal? Is it dehydration?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Most of the time, wobbly means dehydration in most animals. Get some water into her.

Murkve

Dubya said:
Most of the time, wobbly means dehydration in most animals. Get some water into her.

Thanks, I've been spraying her down with lukewarm water, and she's been occasionally lapping it up. I've also been spraying down her skin, as I know reptiles can absorb water that way as well. I also gave her a 5 minute lukewarm soak. I'll also add multiple small water dishes tonight. She's still a bit wobbly. We'll see how she is tomorrow.

From what I've described does this sound serious? Is there anything else you guys recommend?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I recommend that you take a couple of shots of bourbon and relax. If she is drinking, I think she will be ok. I myself would increase light and heat a little faster than nature would.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I feel like all the warm stuff maybe isn't good though if not wanting to eat... like maybe keeping it cooler so metabolism won't speed and use up tail reserve. I stopped nile's lights again since he's decided to go back to sleep anyways... just keep up humidity and if it looks like the skin is wrinkly or caving in (esp around the eyes) get a syringe and give water with electrolytes into mouth...also in spray bottle onto skin. If starts coming out basking offer small things like insects and see what reaction you get. Put the heat and uvb on of course if you see him out wanting this. Hopefully just keeping fresh water available and doing these things will get him up and about and strengthen him. It is so hard to wait for them to come out of hibernation, I am going through this longing too...

Sorry her.I said him... :blush:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced