• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

So I finally got my new Tegu!

What do you guys predict? Will he be a higher white? Or a normal BnW?

• Chacoan High White

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Chacoan BnW

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Finally picked up a Chacoan White Headed Tegu, he's gorgeous, and is incredibly smart. Within a day of having him, he learned to scratch the glass door for me to pick him up, and eats right out of my hand while remaining gentle. He's a few weeks I think, I hope he develops a high white color scheme, but I think it's near impossible to tell this early, could any of you seasoned vets tell?

He also has quite the origin story of how I received him!

So the UPS guy didn't even knock on my door that morning after I waited up all night for the little dude... Left a "We missed you" note and it nearly broke my heart, since as you guys know, you have to pick up the package the next business day, and by that point the animal is normally long deceased. So we spoke to 3 UPS representatives for about an hour and one finally told us we could catch the driver at his stop at a nearby mall.

So we rushed over there and found his truck behind a Party City, he knew immediately that we were there for the live animal. I flagged him down, signed it, opened the package immediately and hoped he was okay, he looked up at me in the bag and flicked his cute little tongue. I took him home and he's been so well behaved ever since.

For the first day, he slept a lot, likely due to the crazy ride, but was still willing to eat some fruit and roam around in between naps. Today I gave him 15 small crickets that he chased and ate no problem, then he fell asleep so I stopped giving him food lol. He's so small!

20190717_175052.jpg
20190718_001815.jpg
20190716_174054.jpg
20190716_121317.jpg

Last edited:
Well, congratulations!
Thanks!

Do you know if Tegus can eat Veal Liver? I picked up some Ground Turkey, Veal Liver, Calciworms, Pinkies and Nightcrawlers. The Repti-Cal without D3 will be showing up on Sunday, so I'm trying to get him on a steady diet beforehand.

I tried shrimp and scrambled eggs last night, he only ate a bite or 2, even tried a little cat food but he's not a big fan. He seems to love moving insects. He annihilated 15 crickets 2 days ago, so I don't know if the issue is that I should be feeding him every other day or he just strictly likes crickets.

I'll try to give him the worms later today, I'm sure he'll gobble them up. By the way, do pinkies offer any nutritional value to a baby Tegu??

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've not raised young argies, but forum experience says the like moving inverts, so I wouldn't worry about his narrow diet as long as he's growing and doing so in a healthy way = no mbd.

Liver's good.

Soon as you can start adding appropriately-sized mice, like pinks and fuzzies, and hoppers, all heavily dusted with calcium to compensatr for low calcium in baby mice.

Mamasaurus

Look at him!!! Congrats. I always recommend whole prey. Be careful to size properly to avoid impaction. I use reptilinks to cut down on that risk. There's a food list about here somewhere that's amazing. Look into reptilinks. The variety is amazing and then you can just add bugs and fruit. Be sure to dust! Honestly I avoid beef anything to be safe. I'd feed gizzards though. So happy for you

Look at him!!! Congrats. I always recommend whole prey. Be careful to size properly to avoid impaction. I use reptilinks to cut down on that risk. There's a food list about here somewhere that's amazing. Look into reptilinks. The variety is amazing and then you can just add bugs and fruit. Be sure to dust! Honestly I avoid beef anything to be safe. I'd feed gizzards though. So happy for you
Thank you!! I found out that he loves Veal Liver coated in Repti-Cal, but even with me cutting the liver into slivers, he still manages to find himself the big pieces lol! I don't know how (un)healthy it is though, but at least it's filling his tummy! I believe i've heard of Reptilinks, so i'll certainly look more into them. He's not too into fruits yet, which i assume is because he's still a baby but he loves crickets.

He's so inquisitive, curious and active. I love him! Though he may have eaten too much yesterday (i feed him every other day).

(He was so sleepy in the third pic, i got a clear belly pic than woke him up)

20190724_145118.jpg
20190724_145147.jpg

20190724_145342.jpg

Mamasaurus

Awah!!!!!!!! That little he can actually eat every day and once he's a bit bigger every other. They definitely eat more if it moves (it's fun and they're nebby) lol. It's not that it's bad as long as he likes it. I just avoid the beef meats because even low fat groundbeef is too fatty. Hard on their livers. Not sure about beef liver. It's an over time thing and he's just a babe. Just feed him!!!!!

Mamasaurus

I missed the baby phase with my rescue but oh I adore him. Yesterday he went under my desk and came out looking like he had a beard walking to me "mum get this off my lips" lol

rats

5 Year Member
Absolutely adorable!!!! Congratulations!

Don't worry if he mostly eats crickets right now. That's what my Foley did (blue tegu) when he was a baby; he loved to chase his food. We kept offering other kinds of foods and he now ignores crickets (too small!!) but loves dubias, ground turkey, grapes (sliced in half lengthwise so he doesn't choke on them, just like I had to do with my kids!), eggs (hardboiled and scrambled), cooked chicken, and other fruits except bananas for some reason. He doesn't like veggies either. :) Just feed that little critter every day, with some calcium dusting (not every day). When he gets older/bigger, you can go longer between feedings (every other day, then maybe every 3rd day -- though Foley is hungry every day and we have to be careful we don't overfeed him!!)

I missed the baby phase with my rescue but oh I adore him. Yesterday he went under my desk and came out looking like he had a beard walking to me "mum get this off my lips" lol
Lol! Yeah Tegu's are certainly funny lizards, sometimes I just open the glass door to his enclosure, call him and he'll just mosey on out, right onto my lap, which I didn't expect from a recently hatched 9 inch Tegu lol. They're such quick learners!

Last edited:
Absolutely adorable!!!! Congratulations!

Don't worry if he mostly eats crickets right now. That's what my Foley did (blue tegu) when he was a baby; he loved to chase his food. We kept offering other kinds of foods and he now ignores crickets (too small!!) but loves dubias, ground turkey, grapes (sliced in half lengthwise so he doesn't choke on them, just like I had to do with my kids!), eggs (hardboiled and scrambled), cooked chicken, and other fruits except bananas for some reason. He doesn't like veggies either. :) Just feed that little critter every day, with some calcium dusting (not every day). When he gets older/bigger, you can go longer between feedings (every other day, then maybe every 3rd day -- though Foley is hungry every day and we have to be careful we don't overfeed him!!)
Thank you!!!

Oh yeah he definitely goes crazy for crickets, as of recent he also goes crazy for Veal Liver powdered with Calcium (without D3). It's strange, I've also tried bananas, but he's not interested in them at all. He's really not a huge fan of fruits in general yet, outside of a bite or two of a plum/cherry, I'll have to try and give him some grapes. He also enjoys green beans but I haven't given it to him in a while since I don't know if it has any health benefits. He doesn't seem interested in smashed up hard boiled yolk either.

I've picked up some ground turkey, but don't know if I should switch it up between the liver and the turkey, or just wait until I've ran out of liver then start on the turkey lol!

It's funny, because originally I wanted to feed him twice a day everyday, but he sort've made it known to me within the week, that he will not eat the day after a meal, like I'll warm him up a whole dinner, just for him to smell it, and turn the other cheek! He's quite the picky little one.

I also don't know when to expect his first shed since there doesn't seem to be too much info around on the ins and outs of Tegu growth lol.

Last edited:
So he's been eating great, has had 2 sheds and has gotten considerably brighter in tone, some days it appears as if his entire head is a white-ish yellow, on others it seems like he's still a bright dull green.

This is him during his first shed on August 4th, (note the yellow tone)

oOjsaja.jpg

this is another shot of him fresh out of his first shed (note the green tone)

tl61xqD.jpg

this is him as of yesterday August 24th while finishing up his second shed,

hJri4LK.jpg

this is him as of today

iN8mEQ7.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Must have sunlight and whole prey with added calcium + either fish oil or mackerel. Will make for a healthy strong adult. In Argentina, a major river floods annually. When it does, LOTS of animals are left dead on draw down. Many fish and cattle. Tegus eat it all.

Would you happen to know what I should do during the coming cold months? I've heard that Tegus hibernate, but I don't recall if it was strictly Wild Caught or if it pertained to Captive as well. Once it starts getting colder, will he start to slow down? So far he's been as great as ever, still relaxed, still extremely passive yet a feisty eater. I'll upload some pics of him soon, he's certainly getting a much more complex color scheme.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All argentines will brumate starting so.etime in late-summer to early-fall with shortening days. Length of brumation varies among lizards. Some will even come out and look around from time to time.

All argentines will brumate starting so.etime in late-summer to early-fall with shortening days. Length of brumation varies among lizards. Some will even come out and look around from time to time.
He has been sleeping quite a bit, but as you said he peeks out and even basks after about 4pm. His light blew out about a day or 2 ago, so it's been around high 60s-70s in his enclosure. I take him outside during the day and let him bask on the grill while I'm out there just so he gets the proper UV and heat.

During brumation would he still need both lamps on? Or could I leave the UVB off?

Here's some pics from yesterday:
-_9:24:19_-8.jpg
-_9:24:19_-6.jpg
-_9:24:19_-1.jpg
-_9:24:19_-2.jpg

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dam thats brave.........and i mean BRAVE .... cause believe me if something spooks him hes lost as the acceleration of these animals is unbelievable and top speed faster than us it would take some sort of luck to catch him again.

Talking from experience due to mine breaking out of a harness and me only catching him again cause he got stuck in a fence. Alpha had 5 meter on me before I even realised he was loose.

Dam thats brave.........and i mean BRAVE .... cause believe me if something spooks him hes lost as the acceleration of these animals is unbelievable and top speed faster than us it would take some sort of luck to catch him again.

Talking from experience due to mine breaking out of a harness and me only catching him again cause he got stuck in a fence. Alpha had 5 meter on me before I even realised he was loose.
LOL! I know exactly what you're saying, I had him on my shoulder in my room a month ago, and he went from relaxing to darting right across the room, behind my shelves.. he almost went into the radiator hole in the wall, but luckily (or unluckily) he lodged himself in between the drywall and the wall behind that, with only his tail showing.. so I had no clue how to approach him without either his tail coming off, or his ribs rupturing (he basically squeezed himself in there).

He trusted me enough that when I pulled a bit on his tail to get some reaction (figured he may have squeezed himself to death), he turned full 360 and I managed to get a steady hold on him.

So after that you'd probably be surprised I would ever take him outside without any type of restraint, but to my defense he is extremely calm when he's either in my hands or under some kind of heat (he loves the sun). I will need some kind of leash at some point though.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced