• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Some questions about Argentine black and white and red tegus

Tegu_questions

Hello! I will start out by saying that I do not own a Tegu, but I do find them to be fascinating and would love to care for one some day. Also, I don’t really have anything to lose by just asking some questions, so here we go...
1) When I look up pictures of red tegus I seem to find two different varieties; those that are a more brick red or orange with paler speckles and the occasional specemin that is a richer red with patches of beige and white. Personally, I prefer the looks of the latter, not just over the looks of other red tegus but also the Argentine black-n-white tegu (which I’m also considering). However, I don’t really know why this difference seems to occur or if there is anything that I am missing? Perhaps all I am seeing is different lighting or camera quality, so I would like to know if the types of reds that I am talking about can be found for sale at all.
2) I like the idea of keeping a tegu outside because of all of the space that their enclosure needs but, unfortunately, I don’t live in Florida, so I would need to provide extra heating. With the plan that I am envisioning, I would set up some heat lights on extensions cords that would lead in to my house to do so. The bigger problem out of the two may be rain, though, as I don’t know if a red or black and white tegu would like the cold rain that we get here. Will they be okay in the rain or should I cover them with a solid roof, as opposed to mesh?
3) Is it reasonable to get a tegu as an adult? I like that idea, because they will have determined gender and be past the grumpy juvenile phase that I have heard about, but am concerned that they won’t be able to be transported to me at that size, will be more expensive or won’t bond with me.
4) If calm enough, do tegus do well being walked on the sidewalk (just in a calm neighbourhood, not downtown or anything) or should they always be in your yard?
And, that is all! I look forward to your responses!

Leezard

5 Year Member
Hello! I will start out by saying that I do not own a Tegu, but I do find them to be fascinating and would love to care for one some day. Also, I don’t really have anything to lose by just asking some questions, so here we go...
1) When I look up pictures of red tegus I seem to find two different varieties; those that are a more brick red or orange with paler speckles and the occasional specemin that is a richer red with patches of beige and white. Personally, I prefer the looks of the latter, not just over the looks of other red tegus but also the Argentine black-n-white tegu (which I’m also considering). However, I don’t really know why this difference seems to occur or if there is anything that I am missing? Perhaps all I am seeing is different lighting or camera quality, so I would like to know if the types of reds that I am talking about can be found for sale at all.
2) I like the idea of keeping a tegu outside because of all of the space that their enclosure needs but, unfortunately, I don’t live in Florida, so I would need to provide extra heating. With the plan that I am envisioning, I would set up some heat lights on extensions cords that would lead in to my house to do so. The bigger problem out of the two may be rain, though, as I don’t know if a red or black and white tegu would like the cold rain that we get here. Will they be okay in the rain or should I cover them with a solid roof, as opposed to mesh?
3) Is it reasonable to get a tegu as an adult? I like that idea, because they will have determined gender and be past the grumpy juvenile phase that I have heard about, but am concerned that they won’t be able to be transported to me at that size, will be more expensive or won’t bond with me.
4) If calm enough, do tegus do well being walked on the sidewalk (just in a calm neighbourhood, not downtown or anything) or should they always be in your yard?
And, that is all! I look forward to your responses!
Where are you living now? Typically if you're not in Florida you can have a temporary enclosure outdoors for warmer weather and humid times .And then an indoor enclosure for the longer winter months like we get in MN, they likely will not like the cold rain, my gu hates being splashed with cold water. And as far as reds go, there are different morphs mostly a red tegu bred with a blue tegu to give different hues of red and black .They are for sale but they are much much more expensive. You can adopt older tegus but it's not typically recommended as they may not ever like you despite everything you try, for a first time owner I'd suggest a baby since the bratty teenager stage is so short lived in comparison to having a mean large lizard. And as far as being calm enough to be walked down the street, they probably won't do too well as they're gonna steer towards the grass, my gu is 1 1/2 and is still not comfortable being outside even in a quiet yard he completely freaks out and sprints away from me. Every tegu is different some are more dog like than others. Hope that helps!

Tegu_questions

Where are you living now? Typically if you're not in Florida you can have a temporary enclosure outdoors for warmer weather and humid times .And then an indoor enclosure for the longer winter months like we get in MN, they likely will not like the cold rain, my gu hates being splashed with cold water. And as far as reds go, there are different morphs mostly a red tegu bred with a blue tegu to give different hues of red and black .They are for sale but they are much much more expensive. You can adopt older tegus but it's not typically recommended as they may not ever like you despite everything you try, for a first time owner I'd suggest a baby since the bratty teenager stage is so short lived in comparison to having a mean large lizard. And as far as being calm enough to be walked down the street, they probably won't do too well as they're gonna steer towards the grass, my gu is 1 1/2 and is still not comfortable being outside even in a quiet yard he completely freaks out and sprints away from me. Every tegu is different some are more dog like than others. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info! Where I live, it's about 20 degrees Celsius in the summer and 4 degrees Celsius in the winter. I'm not sure about humidity, so I may need a way of misting. And would heat lamps help with the temperature?

Tegu_questions

It sounds like your climate would be too cold for an outdoor enclosure unless it's just a temporary summer thing. You would have issues keeping a high humidity as well.
Alright, thanks for the reply! If I get a tegu in the future, I will have to figure out some alternative for indoors...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602