• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

spoiled tegu

Jessicak

Okay, so today I noticed my tegu has a good feeding response when I place food in the enclosure but he never eats it. So today I put a raw egg in the dish and placed it in the tank. He ran around like crazy sniffing the air but didn't find the food. He does the same thing when I put the shrimp in, I even offered shrimp with feeding tongs and he didn't touch it but today I used a spoon to scoop up the egg and he ate it! He ate so much of it. I was even able to lead him to the dish and he ate out of the dish buy quickly seemed to get turned around and couldn't find it. So I tried the spoon again and he ate more. What should I do? Keep spoon feeding him or try something else?

Jessicak

I got him almost two months ago and he's never eaten out of the dish before. He chased crickets around the tank and ate them. He also ate one pinky that I had left in the tank too. I've put eggs and turkey and shrimp in the dish but last night I just got annoyed about him not eating food so I decided to feed him with the spoon and of course he ate.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Spoiled brat! It's healthy, it won't miss a meal. You're being played. Put food in same bowl in same place!!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't sweat it. If hungry, he'll eat. Remember, slow down season. May not be so hungry.

Gringo

my little gu has been the same way since i got him about a month ago. loves crickets but only if he can chase them. and i finally go him to eat some ground turkey, but he will only eat it if i hand feed him.
also i noticed that he doesnt really care for boiled or scrambled egg.. does yours seem to only like its eggs raw???

Gringo

also, i can not get him to eat a pinky.. ive tried several times but ended up having to give the pinky to my rosy boa:( maybe some just dont eat mice??? not really sure, its been bugging me.. i want him to be the healthiest tegu around

Jessicak

Mine are one pinky but I had to leave it in the cage and cover the cage with a blanket for him to eat it. When I checked later it was gone but I was really worried it just got lost in the substrate. I haven't found it though. I tried a fuzzy and I didn't eat that one though. And mine has only eaten raw egg, so yes. Ive tried hard boiled and scrambled and he won't touch them yet. They might start to eat a little more come spring

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Gringo- what does yours typically eat? Maybe you can hide the pink intact or ripped open in the food.

Gringo

Walter1- He likes crickets, but not everyday and he like to lick the egg but he wont eat it. Goingto also try a raw egg tomorrow.

I also mix the ground turkey with scrambled egg, and he will take a couple bites of the thrkey, but wont eat the egg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So, stick with turkey. Make little bite-sized balls dust with calcium. Hide a pink in one. Also, this is slowing down season for them. If he looks well-fed= round tail base and thighs not skinny, don't worry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam