• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Still Hibernating

anelk002

5 Year Member
So my Tegu is still down. Should i get worried? I will wake him up a couple times a week now to see if he will start coming out and still no luck. He has only eaten one small FT hopper that i had to wiggle in front of him but has not eaten anything since and only comes out if I wake him and he will stay out for a while but then go back down for days. The temps are upper 70s cool mid 80s warm and at hottest part of day 118 basking but usually hovers around the 110 mark. I got a fogger to keep humidity up and to see if that would work and nothing. I am thinking of trying and feeding him live pinkies or something to stimulate him but I really just want him to wake up now. What should I do?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I just offered crickets and egg yolk at first got him going. Very gradually went from yolk to meats drenched in yolk now he's eating everything

anelk002

5 Year Member
I have the lights on from 7am-8pm at around 9 the spot I know is 100 and by 11 it gets to 110 I checked today at 5 and saw 118. I'm not home all day so I can't check it every hour but I check randomly when I can So not sure when it reaches 118 and for how long

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
One thing I noticed though is that when I wanted niles to 'wake up ' and put the lights back on regular cycle and upped temps etc he still would not get up. It had no effect on him ...then the first day of spring, even though cold and rainy , he just started waking up on his own and wanting to eat. It was as though his body 'knew ' this was time to wake up. I wonder, where are you located and is there something to be said for current location and also original birth location of animal that sort of determines their hibernation cycle? Just wondering...

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Also, laura had said some tegus don't wake up til april...so maybe yours is just one of those that sleeps longer

anelk002

5 Year Member
Yea looking into it more I have seen some people down till May. I got mine from Johnny at teguterra. I live in Virginia beach so it'sbeen 70s-80s for a couple weeks now. I'm going to just keep checking on him and hopefully he wakes up soon lol I'm just getting very impatient

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980