• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stopped eatin rats

Kyle Sene

Did you feed live and one bit him at some point ? Maybe to big for him
Yeah then i switched him too dead which he ate for a couple weeks. Also he did stop eatin once i switched too rat pups but he ate them before

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Difficulty occasionally happens in accepting new foods. Dropping old favorites is not something I've heard Of before but certainly not impossible. So, given other fa ts of your circumstances, overwintering is the likeliest culprit.

Zyn

The good thing is if he is wintering he stopped himself and should pass his food soon before staying down. Sev will eat up till the min he goes into winter sleep so I have to stop his feeding for him.

bocacash

5 Year Member
My guess would be brumation ! Jezebel has pretty much stopped eating rats for the last month or so...switched to small mice...she ate one, killed 2 others but did not eat them. I got the message...brumation time...stays buried a lot ! When she does come up, on her own, I give her eggs w/crushed shells or dusted with calcium and small bits of meat hidden in them. She always laps this up ! We are in S. Florida...but, she still knows when it is 'winter'...and we have been down to 49 degrees a couple of times this year. Let him/her tell YOU what is best...they know exactly !

MasterJedi

Tegu sometimes will loose interest on certain food to eat. Some animal or reptile can sense if the food isn’t right for them. My Tegu for example don’t eat low quality ground meat. He can tell the difference in freshness and as well as the taste. My Tegu don’t like white meat like chicken breast. He love dark meat, Bananas, papaya and peaches. He doesn’t like chicken internal parts nor veggies but he like raw eggs. Always give your Tegu a different variety to eat. I don’t personally feed my Tegu rats and just because what kind of parasite rats have contracted. Pinky mice are okay but my wife disapproved a live food. It plenty kind of feed Tegu. They pretty much anything an sometimes a captive animal have the tendency to be picky eater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980