• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Substrate best suited for cleanliness (while maintaining overall needs)

Al914

Okay, so I have read about and seen/used different substrates...
I used coconut husk - both types
The one that's fine like soil is decent, messy but somewhat easy to spot clean
the chopped version is tougher to clean as the chunks of coco hide the feces

What do you guys use/suggest for all around good husbandry/cleaning
Has anyone tried shredded paper?

I have a 6 foot vision cage

@TeguBuzz - any suggestions from you are welcome as well ;)

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey man, I personally used a mixture of soil or eco-Earth with cypress mulch (all purchased at my local hardware stores or farm markets). A nice mixture of the two ends up creating a nice substrate that holds burrows very well.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yea, well - I'd go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up soil from there that's untreated, if that's the right word for it. Chemical free!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would turn it every week or so, and swap it out every month - maybe month and a half. I kept it clean so it wasn't too much of a hassle. Most of my tegus were housed outdoors so it made for easy maintenance and cleaning.

RickyNo

You want a mixture of untreated soil, peat moss, and play sand. I used about 50% soil and 25/25 of peat moss and play sand. I do not recommend shredded paper, thats just weird...

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Agreed about the shredded paper. Go with an organic topsoil and some moss. Sand is nice to give it some extra weight and helps with the burrowing, believe it or not.

Al914

I don't think it's weird - different yeah...... the idea came from seeing paper (be it news paper etc) being used, as it's cleaner... I figured if that's okay...shredded would at least give the opportunity to dig and hide
Never tried myself..
Mainly eco earth here

RickyNo

I don't think it's weird - different yeah...... the idea came from seeing paper (be it news paper etc) being used, as it's cleaner... I figured if that's okay...shredded would at least give the opportunity to dig and hide
Never tried myself..
Mainly eco earth here

Now I think your weird...I mean really?!?!?! You have a lizard that requires high humidity and the ability to burrow and you want to use shredded newspaper? Yes that paper is really going to keep the humidity high after your twice a day misting in his cage. I think you would do better with a leapord gecko or somethin. Tegus just arent for you...

SamBobCat

I agree with @RickyNo. Paper? Honestly?!? If ingested, it can cause quite the impaction. There are many other substrates to use that are much safer, healthier, and all sons better for your enclosure. It's like giving a duck moldy bread and thinking it's safe

Al914

wow ricky no... you are so insightful!
because of you, my life has changed
I realize that when someone gets 1/10 of information, they have it all figured out...
I think the internet is not for you... go read a book or something

Al914

I agree with @RickyNo. Paper? Honestly?!? If ingested, it can cause quite the impaction. There are many other substrates to use that are much safer, healthier, and all sons better for your enclosure. It's like giving a duck moldy bread and thinking it's safe

I don't feed them in their enclosures...
Giving a duck moldy bread?.... Poor comparison... I don't feed Tegus substrate

Al914

This is the problem with forums, people have 0 tolarance for ideas/thoughts they don't agree with
I said paper, as a suggestion...and I asked, because it was a thought... to immediately proceed to insult because YOU think it's weird, is why forums have bad reputations.
The purpose is supposed to be to help/discuss and share...
When you say a Tegu isn't for you.... well your mom should have killed you the first word you spoke, because odds are you didn't say that right...
Furthermore take a gander at the guidelines...
The goal of this Site is to provide a venue where the discussion of any and all topics relating to Tegus may take place. It is our aim to keep this site Family-Friendly, so that users of ALL age groups may participate.
Do not post anything blatantly rude, derogatory or insulting.

Spamming and trolling will not be tolerated.

SamBobCat

I don't feed them in their enclosures...
Giving a duck moldy bread?.... Poor comparison... I don't feed Tegus substrate
I didn't mean that you were feeding your tegu substrate. I meant that some people think it is ok to give a duck moldy bread, just as some people think it's alright to use paper bedding. I never implied that you were feeding your tegu substrate

RickyNo

I must be talking girl...

it doesnt matter if you do or do not feed in the cage. They will still swollow it! I had to take all the rocks out of Lokis cage because one day he decided... "hey im gonna try and eat a rock..." **** just happens bro...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi