• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Substrate questions

Skeetzy

Just randomly popped into my head, and figured I'd see what everyone has to say.

I use a topsoil/playsand mixture for my substrate. I know good practice is to change it once a year, but is this necessary. My tegu exclusively goes to the bathroom in his water dish, with the occasional pee on his bedroom floor. He hasn't gone on his substrate at all since I changed it/moved. He also doesn't eat in his cage. Saying the situation doesn't change at all, would I HAVE to change the substrate? Again, assuming it isn't exposed to bathroom use/food. I rotate it all every week, and keep up with misting.

Another question, what does everyone do with their old substrate? I got lucky with my last apartment that I had a patch of dirt outside the window next to the cage. So I shoveled it right out the window. My new apartment doesn't have that leisure. I have 11 months until a change is "due" but I like to be prepared. Getting it out the cage won't be an issue, but where it ends up is. So where does everyone out their old substrate? Can't really put half a ton of dirt in the trash hahah.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't use a bioactive substrate, I don't know if that makes a difference. I do change the substrate out yearly. I just feel it is sanitary. Since we own our house, I can put it in the yard or the wooded lot behind the backyard. I'm sure you could haul your substrate off to a lot as well.

Skeetzy

I wish I could use a bioactive substrate and never have to worry about it. But me and bugs do not get along. The only bug/insect I have ever voluntarily touched was my dubia roaches. Which 99% of the time I had latex gloves on. I won't even touch the frozen prey. All tongs lol.

I do like changing it though. It always looks so nice right after. I need to find a better source of topsoil. The bags from Lowes have way too many sticks, twigs, pieces of plastic, a few glass shards, I've even found metal in there.

There's definitely places I could get away with dumping the dirt easy. I mean it's only half a ton, so it doesn't really cover that much land. But what to put it in is my problem. I don't have access to a truck, and I bet I'm wrong, but what bags can hold a good amount of dirt without tearing? I was thinking maybe doing plastic trash cans, but that wouldn't be too easy to lift, and again where to load it. Good thing I got 11 months till a yearly change is due!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam