• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Substrate

Crisavina1

Has any one used ground up sphagnum moss? I got a lot very cheap and it borrows nice and hold humidity very well since it is just moss. So far have not mixed with anything and my gu is loving it I’m just not wondering if this could harm him in any way?

rantology

Sphagnum moss is great, you can mix that and any of these things together for nice substrate combinations:

Peat/Sphagnum moss
NZ long fiber sphagnum moss
Cypress mulch
Coco fiber
Top soil
Play sand
Horticultural charcoal bits
Orchid bark

rantology

That looks fine to me - looks like its a harder substrate similar to orchid bark .. haven't tried it before personally though

Cshelt11

Making an enclosure 4x4x8 feet. 4 feet being the depth. How deep should I make the substrate and what is a good option for cheap substrate that I can make relatively deep.

rantology

Making an enclosure 4x4x8 feet. 4 feet being the depth. How deep should I make the substrate and what is a good option for cheap substrate that I can make relatively deep.

Combine equal parts Cypress Mulch, top soil, and peat moss. Throw some long fiber sphagnum and/or horticultural charcoal in the mix if you want to as well. The first three are relatively cheaply acquired at hardware stores... Doesn't need to be horribly deep, about 8-12 inches (enough so they can cover themselves). You can also get a pack or two of the long-fibered sphagnum moss if you can find it to fill the hide with, helps retain moisture really well for shedding.

Cshelt11

Our local
Combine equal parts Cypress Mulch, top soil, and peat moss. Throw some long fiber sphagnum and/or horticultural charcoal in the mix if you want to as well. The first three are relatively cheaply acquired at hardware stores... Doesn't need to be horribly deep, about 8-12 inches (enough so they can cover themselves). You can also get a pack or two of the long-fibered sphagnum moss if you can find it to fill the hide with, helps retain moisture really well for shedding.
Our local hobby lobby has non treated long sphagnum moss. I use it for my 12 ft boa

Member1421

Has any one used ground up sphagnum moss? I got a lot very cheap and it borrows nice and hold humidity very well since it is just moss. So far have not mixed with anything and my gu is loving it I’m just not wondering if this could harm him in any way?

Go with the NZ, regular stuff stinks IMO

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced