• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Super worms in the tank

M0718

hi was wondering if it’s ok just to put a handful of super worms in my tegus tank? He’s about 2 feet long his tank has about 8inchs of cypress multch, and other substrate. I just want to put them in there to give home something to do while I’m working

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A great idea to keep him busy. My concern is accidental ingestion of mulch, which could prove dangerous.

M0718

Yeah maybe not a good idea then, maybe next tank clean I’ll stop useing cypress mulch and just go dirt and sand I just really hate the mess from it

Zyn

How big is he might want to transition to whole prey like pinks and fuzzies isn’t much nutrition in super outside the first month or so

Edit: yeah I think at 2 feet it’s time to move on from insects

M0718

He eats all that as well and then some , the worms were just going to be put in the tank for him to hunt and something to do well I’m at work.

bocacash

5 Year Member
One additional thing to consider...super worms eventually, if not eaten, turn into beetles ! In their case...something called a Darkling Beetle which does not smell good...AND has legs ! They can, and will, climb mesh, wire, wood and escape ! This may or may not be a problem for you.

Bram040

I was wondering if the worms or beetles could be dangerous for a tegu? Expecially a young one, like 30-45 cm.
And how big is the chance that they will become a plague in your enclosure?

Rusty7486

5 Year Member
I did this a couple of times with supers and dubias. Mine is unfortunately not the least bit interested in insects. Eventually they all died out. Didn't have any morph into beetles. The environment must not have been right or their pupa got eaten by other microfauna.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam