• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Suriname Boas

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Does anyone have any experience with Suriname Boas???

I'm planning on getting a RTB in the spring. I was thinking of getting a male hypo Columbian Boa. I was staying away from BCC's because they are supposed to get much bigger. But I've been reading male Suri's only get up to 6-8ft. Now 8ft of snake is still a big thing but they don't get that big overnight! There would be plenty of time to get used to a big snake if I get him as a neonate. And DAMN they have great looking tails!!!!

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Suris are very pretty boas although headds up, they have a temper most of the time when they are young but with handling they tame up really quick.

Also, remember that the rule of thumb is 3/4 the length of your snake is how big the cage is but, people house 8' boas in 4' cages all over the place. I have never done so, i always use a 6' cage and it seems to work perfectly as long as you hold them for a while a couple times a week so they can stretch out.

And honestly, i would rather get bit by a 8' 9' boa than i would a full grown Tegu, i have been bitten by a 8' boa and didn't feel a thing....now a Tegu.....screw that!

BCI's are known to be more aggressive than BCC's, thats really the only draw back for people wanting to own themand the price is usually a little more on BCI's.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Der-Boa-Lieber said:
Suris are very pretty boas although headds up, they have a temper most of the time when they are young but with handling they tame up really quick.
My BP has been very mellow since I got him at 6 weeks old. A fiesty snake would make it a little more interesting.

Der-Boa-Lieber said:
Also, remember that the rule of thumb is 3/4 the length of your snake is how big the cage is but, people house 8' boas in 4' cages all over the place. I have never done so, i always use a 6' cage and it seems to work perfectly as long as you hold them for a while a couple times a week so they can stretch out.
I'd start him in a 29G (on loan at the moment) and move up to a custom built cage (home built) if needed.

Der-Boa-Lieber said:
And honestly, i would rather get bit by a 8' 9' boa than i would a full grown Tegu, i have been bitten by a 8' boa and didn't feel a thing....now a Tegu.....screw that!
We've been bit by our Blues a couple of times. That's not too bad. I'm glad our big Red is very mellow, I'd hate to get bit by him!!

Der-Boa-Lieber said:
BCI's are known to be more aggressive than BCC's, thats really the only draw back for people wanting to own themand the price is usually a little more on BCI's.
I thought it was the other way around?? Please explain.

Welcome back!

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
It is, i miss posted that :lol: . BCC (Constrictor constrictor) are usually more aggresive than BCI (Constrictor Imperator).

BCC as rule of thumb has 80 and over scale count and the Imperator has only up to 79. Saddle counts are also used although none of them are 100% correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam