• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tail kink?

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i got the gecko from cowher in the mail this morning. it looks like he has some kind of kink in his tail. i talked to the cowher and he said that the geckos tail was perfect before. here is a picture of what it used to look like (picture sent from to me from cowher) and what it looks like now. is this a kink? the tupperware lid was a little loose on one side so i was wondering if maybe he got his tail caught in it. could this be the case? please help.

before:
PICT1248-1.jpg

after:
DSCN17390001.jpg

ZEKE

5 Year Member
your right cowher is a good guy. me and him were talking about it last night in chat and he told me to post this to see if anyone knows how it might of happened and what i can do to fix it. he is worried about the gecko too, thats why i posted this asking for info and help on what to do about the tail.

COWHER

5 Year Member
The tail got messed in the shipping process. I asked zeke to post something on it to make sure he was ok. I actually feel bad for Chancho I don't want it to hurt. as long as he will be fine with it then it adds character right?? lol

Thanks Dave your a good guy too :cheers

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
His calcium levels were probably a little low and the added stress of shipping probably caused it to kink a little. It's not a big deal, you just need to up his calcium for the next week or 2 and it should straighten itself back out. You can add calcium to CGD, dust crickets daily and even leave pure calcium in a dish in the cage. Check his calcium sacks to see if they look good. I had 2 hatchlings come in with the same thing and I was able to straighten them out in no time.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
so i need to get some calcium without d3 at the pet store and start adding it to his diet? how much do i add? cowher told me that chancho wont eat crickets. i will still try to feed him some dusted crickets but is there another way i can get calcium in him?

where are his calcium sacs and how do i check them?

i also posted this on pangea. here is the link to that thread. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17471">http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=17471</a><!-- m -->

COWHER

5 Year Member
Nice... well I never noticed the kinks before. I also thought that CGD was an all inclusive diet. Thats What I was told by he breeder. I'm sorry if its my fault is he is like that but I was doing What I thought was Best for him. You can tell them the pic was taken a month or two ago I dont remember when..

ZEKE

5 Year Member
yeah CGD is supposed to be an all exclusive diet. thats what the maker of it said.

dont worry m8. im not planning on breeding him and as long as its not hurting him im fine with him having a little kink in his tail. they seem to think it is fixable if i get more calcium in his diet.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I really don't think I would worry about that. Mines tails look like that from time to time. It's nothing serious.Their tails is prehensile so they have muscles that can put it in all sorts of positions. I really don't think it's worth worrying about.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
It's not really playing a joke. It's kinda like when a dog carries his tail down low when he is in a strange place. It's more of a submissive behavior. New places mean new things. Smells all kinds of things. Does this clear things up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980