• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taming/Calming down?

Godzilla Earth

Hello! I'm a new member and wondered, whats a good average time length for them to be tame? Also, does the gender have anything to do with that?

bsshig40

I bought my young one a couple months and he went straight to brumation. He's starting to come out a little bit more but when he does, he doesn't like to be messed with. He whips and hisses and if I get too close will try to bite. I know he has woken up to an entirely new world than what he left. I just suggest taking it slow, if he's new to you, and just slowly slide your hand towards him and let him get used to your smell. If you spend enough time around him, he is sure to get used to you. It took me a while to gain trust with my baby bearded dragon. She's now 6 month old and I can just reach in and pick her up and she's as calm as can be. Just be patient, you're a very large animal coming at him and he justs has to learn you aren't going to hurt him. Lol

TripleTegus

Yes it will take lots of time and patience on your part and there will be a time when you think everything is going fine and then all the sudden it's like you just got him again just keep with the positive interactions.

BucknerCrestExotics

My too cents.... There is no time line you are on their time. I recommend not messing with them to much at first try to talk to them when you feed them and I recommend using long tongs to feed them individual bites. Tegus are very food motivated. You could also put one of your worn tshirts in thier hide so they can get use to your smell. Be consistent it will happen they are extremely smart and inquisitive.

Dylan koch

I used the shirt and sock method and just take it slow do not rush it! Any bad interactions can make it very very very difficult from there on forward. Just get them used to seeing you. I started just hanging out in front of enclosures so they are used to seeing me and then slowing worked my way up to touching first using tongs rubbing there backs they love that once used to it then after 2 weeks or so once they like the pets with tongs and start closing eyes with enjoyment I switch to hands. Then eventually put tongs under them get them ok with that. Then slowly just let them get hand under but do not pick up unless try's crawling up you but not more than few inches. Eventually you'll be able to hold them. I know some people remove them from enclosures to feed they say so they don't think of your hands as food but its never been a issue for me they are super smart but people get them used to being held and interacted that way I tong feed and pet with tongs while they chew. Also when it charges do not flinch it create a prey instinct in their head and can make them realize how to get you to leave them alone. And also tegu puberty is very real.

Dylan koch

Get gloves if your scared and if they charge or open mouth make a fist and let them just check you out! Dont show fear or flinching mine like to lick/smell my hands

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I got Skully at a year old (he's 3 now). He was a wild caught, and he wasn't happy for nearly 10 months. I have not seen where this is typical, but just wanted my story added, because (can't remember who quoted this) one of the members here said they can act like the devil's spawn. I was positive my Skully was the devil's spawn. But one day he just gave up the ship, and it was different from that point on. It was worth all the effort, and I'm just telling you this so you know it "could" be your situation. Hopefully - it'll be somewhere inbetween and over quickly. Most members here haven't gone through that. But! You should know so you can be ready to outlast it.

In month 9, I really thought I would just be looking at him from a distance. Now, I pick him up and squish his jowls and even if he gets tired of me before I'm ready (his body language tells all), - I relent and let him be. I am super careful not to let anything escalate. Most of the time now he's a puppy.

I love some of the members here - they will hang in there with almost anyone, answering questions over and over. I owe my success to them. Keep coming back when you need help! Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744