• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taming Help

Vetboi88

Hello all, I recently acquired a BW tegu. Im not sure the origin, the tegu i think is wild caught and super flighty. what are some recommmendations you all would have for taming?any tricks and techniques? would you give them hides and all when trying to tame down? should I use feeding as bribery? and sugestions folks and testimonies. the tegu has some size on it and I cant really tell the age, any way to kinda guess the age?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I just bought a B/W baby (3-4 months) and it's 17" long. Looks like it's maybe she's got her whole tail. My 2 yr old B/W Argentine Tegu is a male and is about 40" and 8.5 lbs. When I bought the 2 yr old a year ago, I think he was only 21 inches long at a year old. The taming thing is interesting!!! I learned most of what I know from the people on this forum that helped me through a very difficult Tegu that hated me from day one. I put a worn shirt in it's tank, I didn't keep the tank on the ground, I sat and talked to it, I sat and said nothing, I fed it every other day (I personally think that's the best advice - makes sense that lizards don't find food on a constant basis), I met all the temp requirements, I feed frozen mice, I supplement with calcium+D3 and vitamins, the humidity is in line, .......I'm sure I'm leaving out something.....but in the end, Skully - my 2 yr old - has actually adapted to me, but it took about 9 months. Don't be confused with loving the sight of me......he doesn't. He just turned on me the other day when I took him outside to give him some sun, and outdoor exposure. I immediately became the enemy. He arched, puffed, and slammed into his new outdoor cage at least 5 times to show me that I meant nothing to him. Not kidding - You'd have thought I was a hawk. Soooooo...... I went out and got another baby Tegu just last week to see if I could roll the dice and get lucky with a less aggressive animal. My 2 yr old bad boy loves her. She climbs up on his back and sun bathes under the basking lamp right on top of him. Maybe now he'll like me since I brought him the love of his life. (I really hope shes' not a boy at this point - LOL)
Patience patience patience! It's about you figuring HIM out, not the other way around. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam