• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taming red / possible brumation

Tiamat

5 Year Member
So I bought a hatchling Argentine red from a breeder in October . Breeder said he was born in late September .

My setup

1. 72 gallon aquarium with 3" coconut substrate
  2. Two hides... One half hollow log at the cool end and an enclosed cave with a shirt in it on the basking end.
  3. Both sides of the tank have a mercury vapor/ceramiv heater combo .
    1. The basking side is 114° day and 87°night .
    2. The cool side is 87° day 80° night
    3. The mercury vapor UVB bulbs are on a 12-12 on/off timer .
    4. Ceramic heaters are always on
  4. I also have a zoo med 2 gallon terrarium fogger .
My problem deals with socialization and not eating .

Diogi (his name ) seems to spend almost ALL of his time in the substrate . I left him alone for the first 2 months, but then started to dig him up to handle / socializr (I read it was okay to dig them up during sunlight hours somewhere on here .

He's gotten better. He used to go bats**t crazy and freak out if you tried to pick him up . Now it's just something he "tolerates". He'll sit on my hand for a bit but then start walking down my arm as if looking for an escape.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Be patient..... It took me about 4 months before I could even get Alpha out his viv without any commotion and he still won't sit with me for long before he starts putting his escape plan into action.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced