• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegilla's Thread

Justin

5 Year Member
My little guy turned 1 June 16th. Right now he's 42"+ thought I would post a few pics.
20160624_170019.jpg

Justin

5 Year Member
Thank you!

Having maxed out his ferret harness I picked up a cat harness today will try it out tomorrow.

Justin

5 Year Member
I let mine wear his around the house when free roaming so that he associates it with being out of his enclosure.

Justin

5 Year Member
So me and the wife went to her sister's yesterday prior to leaving I took Tegillis outside and offered him food which he refused. So we left and he went hungry. Upon our return 6 hrs later at 6pm I got to check on our beloved pet. It was then that I noticed a crack in the 1/4" plexiglass had spread almost halfway across the door. As I peered in to check on him I heard a noise from underneath his enclosure. I peaked underneath and there he was against the wall. Know he was hungry I lured him out using tongs and a piece of fish. After getting him out and assuming all was well he then preceded to chomp into the palm of my hand. I think this may be do to the fact that I had a cigarette with the brother in law (I don't smoke often) so he may have been confused by the smell as it was my smoking hand. And thus I am heading to Lowe's shortly to reinforce the plexiglass with 2"x2"s.
The original crack caused by me starts from the right and went to the bottom of the v.
[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/jwill05/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160810_131115.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/jwill05/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160809_180830.jpg.html][/URL]
20160810_131115.jpg
20160809_180830.jpg

Last edited:

Salt_n_pepper

I had built the cage for Ami when I first got her. As she got larger she started pushing on the plexiglass. After her escaping 5 or 6 times I've now bout a new cage and transferred her. Moral of the story... I feel your pain lol

Justin

5 Year Member
To update the 2x2 frames to reinforce the plexiglass work perfectly no more flex!
Tegilla is doing pretty well no health issues however he has become somewhat of a hazard to toes and hands I think some of it has to do with smell and he seems to queue in on movement particularly the color white which he seems to associate with mice his favorite food. As a result my nephew who was sitting at the table with his feet dangling received a minor bit on his toe which left him with one scratch on the top and one on the bottom. Then while straightening up the office/Tegillas room, I picked up a sheet of paper and I noticed he seemed to get a little excited by the movement having the utmost faith in my reptilian companions decision making I thought "surely not" and as I grabbed another sheet of paper off the floor he latched on to my right hand between the base of my thumb and wrist. Well damn I thought and as he loosened his hold I thought "oh, he realizes he bit me and is letting go" WRONG! He was simply attempting to get a better hold and clamped down again this happened about 3 times with me saying "Tegilla let go" very sternly several times. I then went to plan B and jerked my hand out of his mouth when he loosened again. I then picked him up and tossed him in his enclosure he doesn't seemed to bothered by the incident but it has made me leery of him when it comes to toes and fingers. This took place several weeks ago I am now trying something new which is hanging my sweaty socks in his enclosure so that he doesn't associate the smell with food I'll see how that works out I suppose. He's not a bad tegu so I hope he can get over his hunting of toes as I like to let him roam the living room particularly since he spends so much time trying to get out of his enclosure. I have also changed his feeding to where I offer him 1 or 2 whole prey items daily along with fruit and as much vegetable as he will eat. I have been concerned with him becoming overweight but as of now he is pretty lean compared to a lot of the tegus I see, one day I will get a scale.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced