• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Advice for Food, keeping him hydrated

LuvmyTeggie

Hi, Tegu enthusiasts!

I am caring for a year-old red tegu that actually belongs to my stepson who is living out of the state. I have been reading up on the threads concerning a balanced diet and humidity, but I have more questions.

I've heard pros and cons to feeding tegus ground turkey. I find that ground turkey is easy to prepare (putting calcium in the mix), and my tegu loves it. I'm really weirded out about feeding him ducklings, frogs, mice, etc. Is there a better meat choice you could recommend? I do offer him fruits and veggies, but he's picky about that stuff.

Additionally, we were in process to making him a tegu habitat (a large wood box 4'x8') but haven't made the time to finish it as we recently moved. He likes to roam around the house, find somewhere to sleep, but obvioiusly he's not getting heat nor humidity, so I move him into the reptile room and put him under the UVB lamp. Eventually I put him in a 20 gallon tank with moistened substrate and his lamp to keep him humidified, but I know he probably needs more. I have started giving him a bath 1x/week, which he loves.

Any advice on what I'm doing with this awesome little guy? He has such a personality!

Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. Check out various threads. In the meantime, frozen/ thawed rodents heavily dusted in calcium are king when it comes to nutrition. Ground turkey, organ meat, and high quality wet dog food can supplement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced