• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Bonding tip?

GusGus

Hey all,

Im new to this forum and have a lovely bw argentine in my care now. He/she is a very good eater but I'm having trouble bonding with them. They're very leery of me. Other than a fluke of two days of them climbing up on me of their own will, he/she usually just breathes really heavy and inches away from me.

I do the shirt in the enclosure and I regularly stick my hands in there to clean up or fix decor fill water dish ect ect.

Any tips from the pros?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I think you're doing well!! It really takes time, and it's different for every Tegu. I had a VERY testy male that took about 10 months, but once that bond came...no more aggression. I've been on this forum for about 2 1/2 years, and most owners don't go through that. I only like to tell people because they shouldn't give up. I really thought I was just the owner of a grump (called him Satan's Spawn for awhile). We went through a lot, and it constantly tried my patience....but that's what won out in the end.

Deescalating aggression is usually achieved by holding your ground calmly, and not inciting anything. It calms the animal down, if you're doing it right. I know it's tempting to jump away, and I've done that before, but the real trick is to not let it escalate to begin with. The breathing heavily - or huffing - is the first stage. Lunging is the next, and then I've had mine go full on with a bite at the end of that lunge. I have never seen mine on their back legs, but many people on this forum have!

Hope this helps a little - this is just my story, and there are many others with differences so I hope they jump in here.
...one other thing - when they're not used to you, be careful about coming at them from their back side. I know that also seems tricky (who wants to come at them from the front side when they're huffing and puffing?) but it's important that they associate you with being a non-threat.

VersacesMama

I am by far a tegu expert, I have only had mine for a month. Of course i did a ton of research before i got her. She is already a good size, about a foot without her tail. I rescued her from a pet store.

The first few days she was huffy and puffy. I gave her a shirt, and let her enjoy her enclosure. After about a week, i slowly lifted her out and let her sit on the bed next to me, i was surprised that she didn't try to bolt. I let her flick my hands and leg, and gently started touching her (fully prepared to take a bite or a tail whip-SO not looking forward to it) and speaking to her in a calm voice. NOW, she sleeps on my bed as close to under a cat or me as she can. We get along great.

Don't let your baby scare you. Be prepared for the worst and expect the best. Once that bonding moment comes, you will have a great buddy.

I may have been lucky with my girl, for our bond to come is a short while. I have heard horror stories. But the happy endings always outweigh the bad.

Good luck with your Gu

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam