• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu coughing and gagging after eating

Rubystarecg

I gave my red tegu his meal which consists of liver, ground beef and leaves with egg and blue berries which I chopped up into small sizes. Shortly after I heard him starting to cough and gag, he seems to be breathing and he’s moving around normally but he keeps gagging and coughing. What do I do? I tried to see if he wanted water but he didn’t drink any.

How’s he doing now? Is he still gagging? Try this, every time you feed him switch only one of the parts of his meal. Each time switch a different part. Maybe after a meal he won’t gag, and you’ll know whatever you took out that time is probably not agreeing with him.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I don't know what you mean by leaves....leaves of what? Most of us here don't use beef as a regular staple. I've never fed my Tegu liver or hamburger - that's just what I was advised here 3 years ago when I started. I do use ground turkey, and many here use Repti-Links. I would immediately switch to that and also frozen/thawed whole prey that is appropriate for his size. Stop feeding him everything you're feeding him and start back slowly with single ingredients at a time.

If you're concerned about water, drip some down on his nose so that you're sure he's just not interested. If he starts to look for more, then keep that up and make sure his water is changed out at least every 2 days to keep it fresh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam