• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu in same tank with Nile?!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was on craigslist.come the other day.. and there was a guy who claimed to be a reptile rescuer... he had pictures posted of he reps.. but he had a Tegu mixed with a Nile monitor!!!! In the pic the Nile monitor was standing on top of the tegu all puffed up (neck was puffed out) I just thought it was horrible and i feel the need to vent..cause your not sopose to mix speicies like that (and the tank was so small)..He tried telling me that he tried sperating them and they wouldnt eat! I dont believe that for a secound!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This guy is 110% pure wrong, niles don't even like each other, no alone a seperate species. They also have different needs, this is just crazy.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
THANK YOU! i feel 8 billion times better about this now.. cause i argued with him... I told him reptiles arnt like dogs and you cant mix monitors with any other animal!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lexi said:
THANK YOU! i feel 8 billion times better about this now.. cause i argued with him... I told him reptiles arnt like dogs and you cant mix monitors with any other animal!

Niles can't even be kept with Niles unless breeding. They can and will kill each other.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
the dude was from Mass. I would adopt it but i dont have the money right now..plus i dont think he would let me..now that he had an ear full from me!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
this is what this guy told me!..

"Reply to: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
Date: 2007-12-11, 4:53PM EST

Wow, I can only assume I am stepping on someones toes. I do not mean to, I have had several people contact me from Mass and recomended I post here and VT. I never said anything about being a non-profit org. I was upfront and honest. I am a breeder of higher end boas, not your everyday pet reptile. I have many years experience and many contacts for unwanted pets. I do not sell my rescues, If I pay $1 for a mouse to feed that snake I charge $1. Most of the rescues come to me needing some type of vet care. A real rescue, please let me know of one.. As far as the tegu and nile, They were rescues from CT. They were raised together along with 2 other monitors and 3 other tegus. They had there own room. The nile is not happy because I am there not about the tegu. She is a typical nile. I seperated the Nile and Tegu but they both refused to feed. They are both in good homes now and seperated but it took 8 months to do so. I rescue everything from ringneck snakes to large gators. I just picked up a 7 foot gator in Mass a couple months ago... I was told by the police agnecy that they had tried to find someone for 3 months that would deal with this ornery gator. Information people, Just ask.. Hell, call me and lets talk or email me.. I am always willing to talk herps and help with anything I can. Sean 518-885-6452
Ohh yeah and the Nile is handelable now and used for shows in NY, MA, and VT...

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
01010001020001031020071209492962135.jpg

nat

5 Year Member
I had a nile for a couple of months until I could rehome it (it was a rescue) and it was the messiest, most aggressive lizard I have ever dealt with. I know niles can be great animals in the right hands but this one was just so aggressive, and so incrediably messy (feces up the sides of the tank, water bowl knocked over, repeat one hour after I cleaned it up... every single day)

I can't imagine housing it with anything else. I couldn't even stick my hand in the tank without welding gloves. There is no way on earth I would stick another living animal in there with it! That guy can't call himself a rescue if he's putting the animals in an unsafe environment.

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
It'll be fine until its not, which shouldn't take too long. This is clearly an example of poor husbandry (if you have a football stadium sized tank its still risky).

With such disregard for their well-being, its quite likely that other aspects of their care are also lacking. I'd bet good money these animals don't have proper space, environmentals, diet or UV. Combined with stress, they might lack the will to fight, living together "peacefully" demoralized.

dorton

5 Year Member
Nyarlathotep said:
they might lack the will to fight, living together "peacefully" demoralized.

Good call, Just like when you go to a reptile show and the animal that was just so laid back gets warmed up, and is hell on wheels.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I will bet when it happens, you will never hear about it. I am not going to say IF, it will happen, if it has not already.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WADAYAMEAN I can't house my Tegu and Guinea Pig in the same enclosure??? They've been best friends for the last... uh few seconds. Oops! :oops:

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
This is what most call ignorance and desperation for sympathetic praise. "I am a rescuer trying to find good homes for these animals." translates simply to, "I've searched the internet for free exotic pets, in hopes of selling them for what I call an 'adoption fee' in an effort to raise money for my addiction to watching snakes kill mice that are too big for them." People all over the internet are pulling this stuff. I have something going on right now with a similar situation so I will wait to elaborate on it. People are stupid. All of this "tame" crap drives me nuts, just as much as anyone with a small collection of reptiles calls themselves a rescuer. I have saved a few reptiles, and will pick a few up that do not have a home, but I do not consider myself running a reptile rescue. I think people manipulate the term in order to demand false respect. I don't know everyone's story so please don't think I'm calling anyone on this forum a fake. I just know that there are plenty of people everywhere pretending to be so-called rescuers who are just trying to make money. There are rescuers on this forum and I respect you all, but to the rest of the net and your BS, show me a rescue list like jif? And then you'll get some respect.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi