• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Natural Diet

Vader

Ok so I have been doing a bit a research about proper diet of these guys, seeing I reserved my female red already.
Thru the North Carolina State Vet Library I came across this study done in Brazil on the wild B&W Juvi Tegu. Thought it would be of interest.

BUT I don't know how to post up PDF's. So if a mod or someone could or if someone can post up this info I would be more than willing to send you the PDF. I can't post the link due to the fact that you have to be a student at NCSU to view it.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to yet another North Carolinian Tegu fan!

If you need to be a student to view the PDF I doubt if you could post a link that we could view. Copying and reposting is probably the only way for us to view it, although it's probably illegal to repost it.

If you posted the name of the article and the author we may be able to find it posted elsewhere online, or other students could possibly access through their University files...

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Or you can post up the info in case someone else has it to post, seen it and or knows where the rest of us can go to read it.

Never mind,.. toby got to it before me.

Vader

Here is the info:

Kiefer, MC (01/01/2002). "Diet of juvenile tegu lizard Tupinambis merianae (Teiidae) in southeastern Brazil". Amphibia-reptilia (0173-5373), 23 (1), p. 105.

I will try and get some screen shots tonight of the important pages. There is no distribution copyright on this article.

It was actually interesting to see what they eat in the wild vs what keepers feed. I will def get the table up on this site by tonight.

G

We feed ours ground turkey a species indigenous to south and central America ..

As the name implies they are often found on the ground ...

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is this the same one or no?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ecoevo.com.br/pesquisadores/ivan_sazima/dietofjuveniletegulizarTupinambismerianae_2002.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ecoevo.com.br/pesquisadores/ ... e_2002.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Vader

montana said:
We feed ours ground turkey a species indigenous to south and central America ..

As the name implies they are often found on the ground ...

Haha.

The whole point of this post was just to share info. Reason being I have been reading and following tegus for awhile and back in the day tegus were only living 5 or so years due to the diet causing fatty liver problems resulting in early death. I understand now that the diets used today keep this guys alive for about 15-20 years. The only thing i can't figure out is can these guys live longer? What is there natural life span from dying from natural causes?

Vader

Bubblz Calhoun said:
Is this the same one or no?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ecoevo.com.br/pesquisadores/ivan_sazima/dietofjuveniletegulizarTupinambismerianae_2002.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ecoevo.com.br/pesquisadores/ ... e_2002.pdf</a><!-- m -->

YEA! That's it.
Going to lib this week to see if I can come up with some more interesting information.

G

Thank you very much for sharing the information !
I will look it up when you two get it sorted out .

By the way welcome to the forum ..

Vader

It looks like their consumption:
Fruits: 30%
Rodents: 14%
Invertebrates: Give or take around 50%

Compared to modern diets, does it matter that we feed more meats and fruits vs wild? I know that the wild isn't always the best habitat it's just that the animal as adapted to it. We can always improve on the wild, just curious if the diet's that are being fed now are doing so?

G

Nice study !!

I would of thought that Tegus that live where there are alot of birds would eat mostly birds and eggs ..

Those that lived where there were mostly rodents would eat mostly rodents and so on ..

It is so good to have been set straight ....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980