• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu police came to my house :(

ToadHallBetty

Last year Tegus were outlawed in Alabama. Those of us with pet tegus could apply for a license to keep our pets. (I did) Today a forest service ranger dropped in on me to see my tegus. (the permit said we would be given reasonable warning before an inspection, I wasn't)
I'm not sure what he was looking for, he said something about being sure they couldn't get out, and that Alabama didn't want an infestation like Florida.

I guess I passed, he didn't say anything. I didn't think tegus could live outside here since we have freezing weather in the winter. Does anyone know what parts of the US, tegus can actually live?

Carra

California. my beautiful Red girl loves the perfect weather lol. Although I would never let her free roam unattended, inside or out. When I am home just watching TV or something her cage door is open sometimes though. She roams the house with my cats snd dogs. They were raised together so no prey/hunting issues. Maybe that’s what they were looking for??? To see if yours could get out of its enclosure, idk I’m sorry that sucks!!! I’m glad you passed and are a responsible owner

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Alabama is a great state - I lived there for about 22 years (Huntsville). I'm glad the officer was at least nice and sounds like he was just doing his job. When I started a nursery there - the dept of Agriculture dropped in unannounced to see if I was using sterile soil for my growing operation. He was super nice, and never returned in the 13-14 years that I was doing that business. I passed my test like you did - so hopefully, you won't be bothered again! Lol Good for you to represent!!!

Sean32817

No - tegus can't survive a cold winter - that's why they stopped their invasion of Florida about halfway up the state.

The problem is that the folks making the rules usually know two things about the animals they're ruling on - jack and crap, with Jack usually having left town a decade ago.

They're trying to do the same thing in Florida...again...with a ban on the entire state despite the fact that about an hour or so north of Miami we'll usually get a month's worth of nights that drop down to the 30s which is enough to kill iguanas, pythons and tegus.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced