• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu poo

Paul w

Hi all
First time posting so a little history.
Recently adopted a black and white tegu from a so called reptile expert. He’s 18 months old and turned up in a 4ft viv (yes really ) a heat mat and a small bulb for heat. Had reptiles before so within 2 weeks had him happy in a 7ft x 3ft new Home with UV lamps and a surface basking temp of 110 with a 80 deg cool side and some nice hides. For the first 3 weeks he didn’t poo so after a trip to the vet we discovered he was impacted. An £800 operation later removed a stomach full of mulch. Obviously caused by the previous owner. Within a couple of weeks he was eating and pooing nicely. Anyway I’ve now discovered after a few months of trying he will eat nothing but whole prey (frozen and defrosted). Will not touch any other raw meat and will not even go by fruit. After reading of digestion issues with fur I have found a supplier for furless mice so have been feeding these along with a few chicks and rats. So all was going well except this limited diet till last week when his poos started to become runny. He now seems to always poo on his basking platform which he never did before almost like he has no control so can’t get to his usual spot.
Any thoughts what could be causing this diet/ illness?
Thanks for reading

Teguixin.22

Dietary changes sometimes bring that on. It's common in the GI tract as far as i know. Young tegus can be picky, that is also normal. Just keep an eye on it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny