• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Shedding Issues

DREWWW615

Hello everyone!
I was hoping I could get some advice about my BW, Drogon. Dro is about 3 years old now and he's having some shedding problems. It's been months since his last shed, maybe even a year. It's been so long that I can't even remember the last time. He's also had some stuck shed on his tail since then that refuses to come off. I've read several posts, articles, care manuals, etc. and have tried everything at this point. He had a humid hide with plenty of sphagnum moss, I give him warm soaks whenever I can, I rub baby oil on his tail, I give him fish oil and vitamin B supplements and nothing seems to work. His lighting, temps, and humidity are all exactly where they need to be and he gets a diverse diet so the only other thing I think it could possibly be is some sort of parasite. However his behavior and appetite are normal so I'm not sure. Luckily I work at a zoo where we have all the equipment and materials to run a fecal. Until then though, I was just curious if anyone has heard about or experienced parasites causing shedding issues or if there's some other problem/solution that I haven't seen. I'm just beginning to get worried that it's affecting his growth rate or the skin around his tail will start to affect the blood flow so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Stellalife1

Hello everyone!
I was hoping I could get some advice about my BW, Drogon. Dro is about 3 years old now and he's having some shedding problems. It's been months since his last shed, maybe even a year. It's been so long that I can't even remember the last time. He's also had some stuck shed on his tail since then that refuses to come off. I've read several posts, articles, care manuals, etc. and have tried everything at this point. He had a humid hide with plenty of sphagnum moss, I give him warm soaks whenever I can, I rub baby oil on his tail, I give him fish oil and vitamin B supplements and nothing seems to work. His lighting, temps, and humidity are all exactly where they need to be and he gets a diverse diet so the only other thing I think it could possibly be is some sort of parasite. However his behavior and appetite are normal so I'm not sure. Luckily I work at a zoo where we have all the equipment and materials to run a fecal. Until then though, I was just curious if anyone has heard about or experienced parasites causing shedding issues or if there's some other problem/solution that I haven't seen. I'm just beginning to get worried that it's affecting his growth rate or the skin around his tail will start to affect the blood flow so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
You can try not soaking so much, it washes away any natural oils he may have. . Alot of breeders rub aloe or Vaseline into the area and scrub with a soft toothbrush and let it absorb. You can also soak in olive oil but do it late in the day so he doesn't get burned by his basking light. The doo slow down on growing at about 3 so shedding every 6mo is normal. If you do soak, use the olive oil & keep the water warm! Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam