• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu tail spasmed like it was dropped

BillTheTeguGuy

My tegu fell after trying to make a jump and I saw her tail spasming like it was dropped but it's still attached, should be worried or not?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Leave him alone for a while. It may have pinched a nerve only. Worst case scenario, it fractured and will drop.

Dylan koch

Was it looking like a snake? Tegus do it as a defense or warning. That they are aggetated or about to strike. Like it your tegu isnt used to being woke up itll do it and ect. Or could of hit a nerve or scared it.

Blakkdragon

Leave him alone for a while. It may have pinched a nerve only. Worst case scenario, it fractured and will drop.

Thinking about this a lot, do you know if it's a guaranteed drop if its fractured? I only found one post on the forum about a tail being broken and the Tegu getting a cast from the vet, but no follow up if it ever fell off or healed

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No guarantee either way. Depends how hard a drop and angle of tail.

Blakkdragon

Just an update, My Tegu has not dropped his tail and it looks like it will be fine. I don't think its broken either. No pain seems to be associated with it, and he still has all his feeling down to his tail tip.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744