• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu was DOA

ArizonaTegu

My Tegu arrived this morning, but it was dead. It is suppose to be delivered by 10:00am. The tracking said it was delivered at 9:30a, which, of course was not true. It seems the UPS driver left it at a different address, leaning against a wall outside. They finally tracked the driver down and I got my box at 11:30am. I do not know if it died because it got too hot? (I live in Phoenix), or if it died on the way here. It was stiff when I opened the box.

I purchased it from Big Apple Pet Supply as it was 2 months old. I called them and filed the claim, with pictures. It takes 24 hours so I will get a call from them tomorrow. I assume I will be shipped another one as I was not at fault. According to the tracking, it was shipped from Florida. In a very small box.

I was very upset and sad to see my first tegu dead, he looked great to me, nice colors. I will update this tomorrow when I find out more news. Thanks.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is awful awful news. I'm very sorry to hear about this.
Hopefully they will rectify the situation for you. Good luck and keep us updated on how things progress

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Rigor mortis takes a few hours to set in, even in a small lizard, so by what you say I'd estimate that the tegu likely died in transit.

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
So sorry to hear this. I feel lucky mine arrived safely today. If you can, have them ship it USPS and hold it at the post office near your house. Most express mail gets to the post office no later than 10:30 am.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
That's terrible. What was the packing like inside and out? Does it look like the tegu was properly handled?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it was shipped from FL, then Big Apple is using a drop shipping method. That can be difficult because you don't who you are actually buying from. Big Apple may have contracted with a cheap wholesaler who is just sending out lizards willy-nilly, hence the small box which equals very cheap shipping costs.

ArizonaTegu

If it was shipped from FL, then Big Apple is using a drop shipping method. That can be difficult because you don't who you are actually buying from. Big Apple may have contracted with a cheap wholesaler who is just sending out lizards willy-nilly, hence the small box which equals very cheap shipping costs.

Exactly. I will do a video today of the packaging so you all can see it, then let me know what you think. Shipped out of Clearwater, FL. I myself thought the Tegu was coming from NY.

ArizonaTegu

So sorry to hear this. I feel lucky mine arrived safely today. If you can, have them ship it USPS and hold it at the post office near your house. Most express mail gets to the post office no later than 10:30 am.

This was overnight shipping, suppose to be delivered by 10am the next day.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So sorry. I don't know what your weather has been like, but it has been 88 day, low 70's night in Central FL recently. Clearwater is over by Tampa, so not too much different. I had a tegu shipped to me recently and suggested the use of a cold pack just in case.

ArizonaTegu

UPDATE

Just got a call from Big Apple, another baby is being shipped today and should be here tomorrow morning. I had to pay for the shipping though. I did a video yesterday about the packaging the Tegu came in. I will try to add the link here, have never done this before, if it does not work, my youtube channel is the same as my user name here. Thanks.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
That is the worst packaging job I have ever seen!!!! You seriously should BOI that, and they should definitely refund your money for shipping a second tegu. That is absolutely totally uncalled for.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
For shipping a tegu in warm conditions, I would have to agree. No breathing holes in the outer box from what I could see - fine during cold conditions, inexcusable during warm conditions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced