• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Temporary outdoor enclosure

Gary

79DC4FD8-E91A-45A7-BE85-908991D64453.png
I’ll be in another state in June/August, so I’m making plans to take my yearling with me. I have a few questions. I was planning on building a 6x3x3 outdoor enclosure. I’ll attach a picture of the plans I made today.

1. Are 100+ degree afternoons too hot for tegus? If they bask at 120 degrees, I can’t imagine it being too much of an issue—so long as there is a cool/moist hide.

2. Do I have to worry about raccoons? Will they try to get into the enclosure like they would a chicken coop?

3. What siding is recommended? I though chicken wire at first because I want to let in natural light (kind of the whole point of an outdoor enclosure), but I don’t want my yearling rubbing his nose on wire and hurting himself.

Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck with things.

6x3x3 is too small.

100f in shade is 100f. 100f in sun is way higher.

A raccoon will try to get in an make short work of her.

1x1" hardware cloth will work.

Gary

Good luck with things.

6x3x3 is too small.

100f in shade is 100f. 100f in sun is way higher.

A raccoon will try to get in an make short work of her.

1x1" hardware cloth will work.

I disagree that 6x3x3 is too small for a temporary (6 week) enclosure for a yearling :) He’s got his own room at home, so this is just while we’re travelling.

I have to be able to haul it home or I would go 8x4x4. I actually have a design I’m trying to make work for 8x4x4 that breaks apart easier. It would be nice to have an outdoor enclosure for sunny days back home even when he’s full grown.

Hardware cloth is a good call.

Gary

Updated design with possible ramp. His moist hide would fit under the platform and his water/bath under the ramp. The ramp would probably need some cross boards for grip.
8B170E2E-A9FD-4805-9875-37C70B413401.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced