• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Temporary setup help

Rsh

Due to covid-19 and my quarantine situation, I need to move into a family member's house temporarily. I have my 4-year-old tegu set up in a grow tent in a foot of substrate. My problem is that the frame I built to hold the substrate in the tent cannot be taken apart and transported like the tent could. Would it be okay to put down newspapers for him instead for this temporary (but indefinite depending on how long quarantine lasts) situation? Does anyone have other suggestions? I know this isn't ideal but it is a time sensitive situation that I could've never anticipated.

TripleTegus

I would say as long as you can provide the proper heat and humidity paper should be alright but as u mentioned not ideal. I don't know abut tegus but people keep snakes on paper just fine without any issues.

Rsh

Use paper. Can you provide a moistened hide?

I also have lots of puppy pads I could put down which might be better. I could also bring a bit of substrate to put inside his hide for him to help with the humidity in there.

Rsh

I would say as long as you can provide the proper heat and humidity paper should be alright but as u mentioned not ideal. I don't know abut tegus but people keep snakes on paper just fine without any issues.
I am able to bring all the heat lamps + my fogger so temps and humidity should be fine. I'll be quarantining there so I'll have lots of time to keep an eye on it.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
So sorry for your situation.... Tegus are pretty resilient - I hope the best for you. Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know what a grow tent is, but even if you had to get a smaller than preferred cage (enclosure), he'd at least be safe until you can let him out to stretch his legs. Might give you peace of mind when you need to come and go.

Also - like Walter1 said.... providing a hide makes him feel safe even if his quarters are smaller.

TripleTegus

I also have lots of puppy pads I could put down which might be better. I could also bring a bit of substrate to put inside his hide for him to help with the humidity in there.
The puppy pads might not be a good idea. I believe most puppy pads have a product in them that absorbs water might not be the best thing for keeping up humidity. And I would personally worry that it might dry out the tegus skin but I have no real proof that would happen just my thoughts.

Guman

I use the paper crumples from the pet and storr, and our gu has a moist hide (moss). He has been on this set up for about three years now and

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam