• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Terrible Ones Support Group

apocalypse910

So my tegu appears to have entered the terrible ones (2012 extreme - first clutch). Anyone else dealing with this right now?

The lizard is not sane.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I hope niles isn't going to go nutty, haha, but i will say he woke up from hibernation "different." I got him sept 11, 2012. He hibernated oct to march. Before he was always wanting me to hold him and would jump at the top of tank to have me get him out to hold. He'd sleep on me, go in the car and store with no issues. Etc. Now since up he hides a lot. If i open the cage he sometimes hides on me. When i take him out he struggles with me. He seems more "aware " of surroundings i guess. Like sitting on the coffee table all of a sudden he jumped on the floor and scampered. Also jumped from my lap once and scampered away. I got him a harness but this last time i tried to put it on he FREAKED. Scratching, backing up frantically out of it and doing the 'alligator roll. ' crazy. I had to calm him down. Are these the behaviors you are experiencing as well? I just really feel like maybe he is becoming more self aware and/or aware of his surroundings. His eyes are different. Like, he'll be looking at me, then look off and I'll see his pupils change size. Kind of freaky. Does yours do that?

apocalypse910

Haahaa - yeah I know exactly what you are talking about. We call it "crazy dino eyes". He sticks out his tongue slightly, the pupils snap shut, and you just know you are in for a boatload of crazy.

He is usually so tame - but I am constantly covered in scratches now. He's becoming an expert at the death roll. He sits at the window and does that adorable puppy head tilt, the second I let him out he goes mental though. He also goes out of his way to piss on the floor and I know he's doing it intentionally. He is huffing constantly. I was on a phone call the other day and he actually pushed his snout against the phone and huffed at the top of his lungs every time I tried to talk. Not sure if I'm losing it or the lizard is actively mocking me.

He is so lucky that he's cute.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
So the pupil dialation thing isn't just my imagination... haha. It's like a higher intelligence in there. :p anyway... yeah niles loves to hold it til he's on my bed then lets go. Giant cow sized poo. :/ especially on my nightmare before christmas blanket. And he pushes me with his nose. Always wants to climb. Thinks my head is a great place to perch. Dubya warned me to break this so i don't let him get up there. He said not good habit when he gets 3 or more ft long. Haha

HeatherN

yeah, my tarot from the same clutch has been nuts lately. i cant let him out as much as he wants because he's made a habit of trying to attack anything that moves. including my toes and fingers! you can always tell when it's coming - he does the crazy eyes and tenses up - but i cant trust the little stinker as of late. hope he grows out of it.

Diablo

5 Year Member
I haven't gotten Yoshi out of the cage yet since he has been up. I've been taking things slow and picking him up gently but he just slowly walks out of my hand and back into the cage away from me. He crawled up my arm once but that was a milestone so far. He's not afraid of me I don't think and he doesn't huff at me. But I'm not trying anything big yet with him.

Should I try more? Like pick him up and fight against him or just let him do what he wants.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
When I pick niles up he will often roll his tail around and around. So I hold the base steady along with his back legs and front legs. Just put my hands under him. And then I put him on my lap on a towel. Petting him along his back to calm him.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Oh...do you have a tub or shallow tote you could put him in to walk around and just pet him and put your hand under him while still in the tote and just let him walk on your hands(?)

Diablo

5 Year Member
if I could pick him up I would try that lol but the last time I actually got him to a sink he freaked out and ran from the water. I don't think he likes water at all

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
So my tegu appears to have entered the terrible ones (2012 extreme - first clutch). Anyone else dealing with this right now?

The lizard is not sane.
Well, Gwangi is great at 10.5 mos. He was raised in a good family with a mom and dad with good values, which were passed on to him. He is a joy to be around. You must raise your tegu to realize that not everything is ok and he should not receive a reward for nothing. Just because all the other 1 year old tegus and owners think something is ok, doesn't mean it's ok. You must keep a firm hand raising your tegu to insure it is of the highest character and does not hurt anyone. Including those who do not share your tegu's views.

apocalypse910

Well, Gwangi is great at 10.5 mos. He was raised in a good family with a mom and dad with good values, which were passed on to him. He is a joy to be around. You must raise your tegu to realize that not everything is ok and he should not receive a reward for nothing. Just because all the other 1 year old tegus and owners think something is ok, doesn't mean it's ok. You must keep a firm hand raising your tegu to insure it is of the highest character and does not hurt anyone. Including those who do not share your tegu's views.

It was the rock & roll music wasn't it?

Logie_Bear

My Ezzy is from the 2nd clutch of extremes. 6/13/12 b-day. So far she has been nice and calm since coming out of hibernation.... but time will tell if she goes crazy in the next month or so. :confused:

But the huffing on the phone story is hilarious, Apocalypse. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980