• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

The attitude

Tizzay89

So.. what's the deal?

This has started just this past few days shortly after a lil out of cage adventure on the bed. This tegu seems to have a real bad tude lol has finally bitten me after I kept blocking it path out of its cage. And now it hardly let's me touch it. Back to acting big n tough huffing n puffing whipping. Just being naughty lol it is ofc growing rapidly like I knew they got big fast but it seems to wake up bigger lol pic of a holding box while I clean n remix substrate

Attachments

• 20190508_195409.jpg
    20190508_195409.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

TeguTeep

Might be going through a puberty phase. We’re still trying to figure that out with ours. She’s 8 months old and in the past week we can’t even put our hand in her terrarium without risk of being bit

Tizzay89

Might be going through a puberty phase. We’re still trying to figure that out with ours. She’s 8 months old and in the past week we can’t even put our hand in her terrarium without risk of being bit

Yeah well lately I have had enough of it lol when it looks like it's about to get feisty I introduce my other hand and my full arm. This tends to stop the aggression as my arm is way bigger than it lol. After feeding I can gently touch its side but if I try for the back it stands up puffing up. But now we have learned a new trick.. called burrow until I leave the cage lol

Attachments

• 20190512_182607.jpg
    20190512_182607.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 31

Zyn

Teep yours sounds like normal juvi food aggression feed with tongs or on plates so they associate the tongs or plate with food and not your hand it’ll take
Time it’s still a baby pretty much

Tizzy yours sounds like a fear response and comfort and tolerance on the Tegus end will come in time. I try and spend a few hours a week in the bathroom
While Sevs soaking.

Just remember they aren’t dogs and how tolerant of people they are will vary between individuals.

Last edited:

Tizzay89

Teep yours sounds like normal juvi food aggression feed with tongs or on plates so they associate the tongs or plate with food and not your hand it’ll take

Tizzy yours sounds like a fear response and comfort and tolerance on the Tegus end will come in time. I try and spend a few hours a week in the bathroom
While Sevs soaking.

Just remember they aren’t dogs and how tolerant of people they are will vary between individuals.

Yes but it wasnt like this b4. Been spending lots of time with it though still hand feeds but I cannot touch it lol. Time will tell. If it's a tegu I cannot touch.

TeguTeep

While Sevs soaking.

Just saw your response! But I have only fed her via snake tongs and she sounds just like his. She’s escaped and when we found her, she let us touch her tail and her sides, but as soon as we touched her back she puffed up. But yes she is very VERY excited about food. I’m not sure if I can send a video on here, if I can’t give me your email and I can send you a video of her feeding. As soon as I pulled the mice out in front of her cage she kept darting into the glass and as soon as I dropped it in, she shredded it

Tizzay89

Give you an update :)

Jiniki has chilled out nicely. I can touch anywhere any time fav spot is head n body. Zero aggression zero puffing up tryn to run etc. But I cant pick up easy yet.

I feel like there should be a sticky on this site listing taming methods. Like the difference between passive taming and active taming. I have noticed most go for passive taming on here lol I personally mixed the 2 and here I am with a very young tegu letting me do w.e I want as long as I'm slow. Fast movements still bother it. But anyways theres the update lol

Merlot

What have you been doing different. Tonga are def good touch. Make a fist so they don’t get a finger bit if you feel that is coming. When I thought mine was gonna bite, I make a fist, put it in his face he quickly smells it and backs off and then I rest my open hand next to him with my fingers in the dirt a little so he doesn’t get em lol. And just sit there and be PATIENT. Then he’s mostly good. Do other stuff in the substrate. Like play with it by yourself, mix it, move stuff back and fourth and he’ll get curious. Then don’t grab em right away when he comes near you or on you unless he clearly wants to be picked up. Let em know they are good next to you while they explore. Also, most tegus don’t like being touched on top ESP as
First interaction of the day due to the aerial predator response.

Also put a shirt in there you’ve worn in your own stank for a few days without deodorant or perfume/cologne so they recognize your scent

And wash the **** out of your hands after preparing food for em

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam