• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Thinking of new addition

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So for the last ten years I have contemplated getting a large monitor, something like a water monitor. Well then something like this comes up on craigslist and I am thinking that maybe I should just go for it. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pet/3450272336.html

Thoughts?

Yes a new cage would be needed. Yes $200 a month in food is possible. I just want realistic input, even hard truth.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Can you provide a 12 by 10 by 8 or more cage? It's not just the food bill. Think the electricity to heat it, the massive amount of substrate it will need(2-3 feet of a sand/soil mix covering the entire cage) etc. If you can provide for it and it's what you want then go for it although I think they are wayyy to much work personally haha.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you have the space, go for it. $1000 is a bit high considering the cage is pretty much useless in my opinion. I would offer him $600.

Deac77

5 Year Member
To me it would matter on his personality and how healthy he looked in person and what his husbandry history is I do agree the price seems high for a cage you can't use

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The price is high, and thinking long term might be a bad time. I have a job offer in 2013 to move to Africa for a few months for job training. I have a reptile sitter lined up for the tegu and caiman lizard but a 6+ foot water monitor might be too much.

Caging to me is fun, I love designing and building.

Its a wish list but I think I might have to say no :( Maybe when I get a job that does not have me wonder what next year will bring.

Thanks for the reality check. Anyone want him? I always worry that the wrong person will get him.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know what they need and it kills me to pass this up. It took me five years before I got my tegu and I am glad I waited. Sigh. Maybe in a few more years.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I waited 3 years before I got my gu and I've already started building a cage for a caiman lizard I have no intention of buying for 2 or more years water monitors are one of my dreams so and I have to hurry lol

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol sounds like we have the same wish list. I got my tegu, got a caiman lizard and now looking into a water monitor. Just that size makes them hard to move with and I move a lot still.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced