• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

This years varnyard stock.

matrix05

I was wondering if anyone else that has put a deposit on a varnyard gu was having trouble getting a e-mail response back from them on when they might be hatching and when they will be filling orders?

LizardzRock

matrix05 said:
I was wondering if anyone else that has put a deposit on a varnyard gu was having trouble getting a e-mail response back from them on when they might be hatching and when they will be filling orders?

Yes I have put a deposit down (on march 19th) on a reg. b&w argentine. He told me that it would be June when they would be ready. He keeps them for 3 weeks prior to shipping them out or pick-up. It usually takes about 2-3 days for him to reply. Keep you emails short or bobby will not reply. For some reason he just does not reply if you ask more than 2 questions. For that I do not know why...???

Skeetzy

He told me June/July also when I put a deposit down about a month ago. And he probably doesn't answer a ton of question since those who ask a lot, are usually the indecisive, and it leads to a waste of time, a good majority of the time. I used to help run an online store, and that's just from my experience. If you have a lot of questions, giving him a call will probably work best.

matrix05

Skeetzy said:
He told me June/July also when I put a deposit down about a month ago. And he probably doesn't answer a ton of question since those who ask a lot, are usually the indecisive, and it leads to a waste of time, a good majority of the time. I used to help run an online store, and that's just from my experience. If you have a lot of questions, giving him a call will probably work best.
Thanks guys! My e-mails were short but I understand he's probably busy as well, again I appreciate it.:D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This just shows the kind of customer service that can be expected. Don't expect any different after you have received your tegu and have questions either.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I rarely got responses from bobby through emails, not the greatest but I have gotten better responses through phone calls

Dana C

Just my humble opinion but it seems like there are a few adult Tegus for sale currently from Riplee and others. I for one bought an adult male last year and after we go to know each other we became best buddies.
Varnyard sells nice Tegus. However there are other places that sell nice Tegus as well. I bought a CB Import Red last October who is turning out to be a really nice girl.
If you buy an adult, you will need to socialize it but the time needed may be shorter. You won't have to go through the "terrible twos" however and the taming curve will or at least could be much shorter. There seem to be plenty out there.
My advice is to shop around. There are sellers with great reputations that sell very nice Tegus. Some are U.S. bred, some aren't but consider that if you buy a CB import, aside from potential parasite problems, which I haven't had, you can pick up a great pet in need of a good home.
I for one have read about the horrendous customer service coming from Varnyard and would never buy a Tegu from him / them. I don't care what the excuses are, what the eccentricities are of Bobbie or any other seller. I want what I pay for, I expect timely communication both before an after the sale for anything I buy and especially an animal of any kind.
For those of you that have put down a deposit, I hope you get what you pay for. Consider however, what you are paying for. You are paying for communication, a healthy sexed animal, and follow up help after the sale.
From everything I have read, much of that has gone missing.
Again, just MHO.

Teguzilla

5 Year Member
Dana C said:
Just my humble opinion but it seems like there are a few adult Tegus for sale currently from Riplee and others. I for one bought an adult male last year and after we go to know each other we became best buddies.
Varnyard sells nice Tegus. However there are other places that sell nice Tegus as well. I bought a CB Import Red last October who is turning out to be a really nice girl.
If you buy an adult, you will need to socialize it but the time needed may be shorter. You won't have to go through the "terrible twos" however and the taming curve will or at least could be much shorter. There seem to be plenty out there.
My advice is to shop around. There are sellers with great reputations that sell very nice Tegus. Some are U.S. bred, some aren't but consider that if you buy a CB import, aside from potential parasite problems, which I haven't had, you can pick up a great pet in need of a good home.
I for one have read about the horrendous customer service coming from Varnyard and would never buy a Tegu from him / them. I don't care what the excuses are, what the eccentricities are of Bobbie or any other seller. I want what I pay for, I expect timely communication both before an after the sale for anything I buy and especially an animal of any kind.
For those of you that have put down a deposit, I hope you get what you pay for. Consider however, what you are paying for. You are paying for communication, a healthy sexed animal, and follow up help after the sale.
Again, just MHO.

I also have to agree with Dana. I was in the process of ordering a black and white from Bobby but then I started to see and hear about the difficulty in response from him. I have to say, his Tegus are beautiful and I've seen lots of people happy with what they've bought from him but he's definitely not the only good breeder or breeder in general that you can find. I was browsing around on craigslist a few months back and I found I guy in my area that breeds Red Tegus. Communication with him has been excellent and I plan on picking up my baby from him in mid or late August.

I would also have to say that a lot of people should look around. Always try Fauna, Craigslist, etc. You can find many other tegus that are just as healthy and beautiful as Bobby's, whether they are captive bred, imported, etc. Just my 2 cents.

matrix05

Dana C said:
Again, just MHO.
I agree totally and I have no one to blame but myself as far as not doing a bit more homework on the subject as far as what I was getting for my money. I hope the tegu turns out much better than the service but I agree with the communication part as being a huge plus to have when you are running a business.

the_cw

With Varnyard, any question I've sent him has been replied to in less than 2 hours. And I am verbose, too. This is no comment, necessarily, as far as his quality, but I'd like to put my 2 cents out there. The important part, as stated above, is to do your homework and determine what works for you.

HeatherN

I have a deposit down on one of Bobby's extremes and even when I was in the decision-making stage, he replied to my calls and emails within 24 hours. He's always been extremely helpful with me, and even answers my questions when I've forgotten to write down the answers the first time! (terrible, I know)
I'm not saying I know how he treats all of his customers or what have you, but I did extensive research on many reputable and even unknown local breeders, but I went with bobby. If you have trouble with him though, I would suggest tegu terra, the owner seems to have a ton of experience and good reputation. Fauna classifieds has some good tegus and some bad tegus, but they usually dont get for sale ads on their for tegus as fast as most other reptiles. Happy hunting!

tommylee22

Bobby called me a few times, gave me the run down on what's the best and followed up after I put my deposit down. I've not got my extreme yet but so far communication has been great. Now I'm not the kind of person that's going to bother him any sooner than he told me to expect my tegu. I'll send him an email mid May to see how things are going but not untill then as he told me May or Jun before my tegu will be ready.

Another note, when I called him a couple time prior to making my deposit, he called back within a couple hours. So at this point based on my experience Bobby's serves has been great.

Dana C

Please don't misunderstand, I haven't had any recent experience with Varnyard. I did however attempt more than once last year to discuss a deposit without a reply. Everyone is an adult here and can do as they please. I have read great things about other breeders and you should shop around as I suggested. I don't have anything against Varnyard personally but it appears that there were serious problems which were not addressed.
Again, I for one would buy an adult or sub adult.

matrix05

tommylee22 said:
Bobby called me a few times, gave me the run down on what's the best and followed up after I put my deposit down. I've not got my extreme yet but so far communication has been great. Now I'm not the kind of person that's going to bother him any sooner than he told me to expect my tegu. I'll send him an email mid May to see how things are going but not untill then as he told me May or Jun before my tegu will be ready.

Another note, when I called him a couple time prior to making my deposit, he called back within a couple hours. So at this point based on my experience Bobby's serves has been great.
I received my conformation number for my order and sent an e-mail back to him afterwards to make sure everything was good on his end of the deal and not one word. I will give him a call and try that but I am hoping if I got a conformation order number that all I will need to do is to send the rest of the money when they are hatched. I just like having my e-mails returned when a business transaction is in the works is all.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
I tried to get a hold of Bobby a couple months ago via telephone and had no luck. I'm assuming he's just busy this time of year with the breeding and all?

LizardzRock

We should all send him an email to see who he replies to first. And then post the amount of time it takes him to reply for each one of us....NAh just kidding, seriously i am. I am sure he is busy, but when you claim you are the best breeder of tegus and when also he encourages you on his website to email and call him if you have questions and what not he should live up to it. Because based on what I am gathering of some ppl's experiences (not all now) they are not too impressed thus far, and the other fraction are satisfied, now to what degree I could not say. I have a deposit down as well for this season and have only had 3 out of 5 emails over a month and a half period answered and two of which were prior to making the deposit. All in all as long as I get a healthy tegu I will be satisfied or my money back within a reasonable amount of time(a week at most). On that note I have heard that in the past ppl have had a hard time getting their money back if no tegus are produced. For me i will not base my decision on hear-say(unless it is all negative I just wont bother) I base it off my experience and want to find out for myself because there is just no pleasing some ppl no matter what you do. I hope to give him a great review :)

spark678

Hey its your money if your willing to take the chance. Im happy with my 2011 extreme from him. Poor communication though and feel bad for the people he did not refund the money (if its true) to or sent the wrong tegu.

larissalurid

I have a 2012 B&W male reserved and after recently hearing these things like people not getting their tegus OR money back I am really hoping I don't end up having any problems... He responded to me within a few hours or a day from what I remember, it was definitely not like I had to wait forever and he told me they'd be hatched and 3 weeks ready to go around June/July so I haven't talked to him since really.

Dana C

Hopefully last year was an anomaly and you will get your new baby timely and in great shape. It sounds like his communication is much better so far.

HeatherN

probably doesn't want a repeat of last year's fiasco. unhappy customers = bad rep = no money! like i said though, i am very happy with his communication with me thus far, and i look forward to my extreme! i am also glad there are a decent amount of people throwing out their good experiences as well, it'd be rather unfair if only negative opinions got voiced without hearing all of the positive. lets cross our collective fingers that that whole thing was purely anomalous! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam