• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Thought Eddie was dead

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I almost cried.

I have his lights come on at night because of where hes housed and the temps. I'm going to pick up either a CHE or yet another heat bulb (hes already got a 160w powersun and a 75w heat bulb) after I finish this "novel" of a post.

During the summer it was a piece of cake to keep the temps 105-115, wherever I wanted them. The cold weather has hit pretty quickly and this last week its only been in the low 50's during the day and mid-upper 30's at night. This has made it hard to keep his temps higher at night.

Sunday I fed him and he was active as usual, no issues. Yesterday I fed him after the bear game. He wasn't out yet, not too uncommon. I didn't think much of it and just left his food for him. This morning I was leaving for work and saw that he hadn't touched his food. I put new food in (even though the lights were off, I figured he might come out and at least throw things around). I got home while misting the enclosure saw he still hadn't eaten. I got a little worried and broke out the flashlight to peek in his cinderblocks. I noticed he was in the exact same spot/position as he was sunday when I had gone to bed. I figured I'd give him a squirt of water, usually he flys when it touches him. Still no movement.

I climbed inside the enclosure and touched part of his tail that was exposed. Still nothing. I went back inside to ask someone to come out with me. I don't feel comfortable being the only on out there with the cage door wide open, in case he bolts. Then I climbed back inside, I started getting all teary and this time when I touched him a little higher up his tail he slapped my hand.

Easily the worst feeling I've had since I've had lizards. I was thinking about how awful I am and how I couldn't believe I killed something so amazing. I know the basking temp is 103* at night. I'm not 100% sure how low it gets during the day (I'm finishing a 10 day week). I foolishly assumed that if Guru is alright during the day than Eddie should be fine too. Now that I'm thinking about it I will probably get a higher heat bulb for night, for the extra push, and a che for during the day. Anyway, that was my story.

Steven.

Holy!! that wouldve scared me poo less.. I'm the same way though, if they dont move i start to worry. When my tegu goes down for hibernation, you better believe ill be checking on him everyday lol...

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
I worry when Godzilla just last on the mulch all day lol but he gets lazy after eating a whole quail

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's still acting a little weird. I know hes alive. Still didn't touch his food last night. He's not stuck, he can easily pop out from either side of the block. I changed his light timer to come on a little earlier than usual. I'm thinking about just pulling him out.. I don't want to disturb him while hes in his "hide" area but I feel like I need to check on him. They're not supposed to hibernate/brumate so I've really got ZERO clue as to what hes doing.

Steven.

Wonderful. Great news. I was thinking maybe he was slowing down due to the whether.

sent from my phone to your eyes

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cyclura don't burmate or hibernate. He's up now and eating. He seems ok.
I sent a message to Ty asking if he had any
Input unless rob or buzz can help me.

dabears51

For the last 3 weeks or so, Krone has slowed down a bit as well. In the summer I would always see him awake and basking by 7:30am. Now, there are days when he won't come out of his hide til noon. Some days he would pick at his food and others he would devour the whole bowl. I'm pretty sure it's the weather change. I live in Chicago and temps are falling into the 50s now.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry to much Lex. But I'm glad he's back to his regular routine. At one point when I was housing Buzz indoors, he stayed under a slab hide I'd made for 2 nights and 3 days straight and it had me worried but I let it play out. By day 3 he was out and about again, in fine health. There are days now where Buzz will just chill in his hide outdoors and ignore whatever food I put in, why he does it, I'm not quite sure but he's in perfect health. He eats on the regular now but every now and then he'll just chill. I'm happy to hear Eddies doing ok and I'm surprised I didn't see this thread until now. You know to message me whenever you need any sort of cyclura help. I believe you have my number but if not, do PM me and I'll send it to you.

Good luck!

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I hate it when they do that, but I thik its just normal behavior. Sounds like he is slowing down and getting ready for hybernation. I know my Zilla can just hide in teh same spot fior days, and looks like she is dead, not even visibly breathing and doesnt respond to pokes. But if I pick her up she looks up at me as if to say, "Why did you wake me up?"

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aardbark said:
I hate it when they do that, but I thik its just normal behavior. Sounds like he is slowing down and getting ready for hybernation. I know my Zilla can just hide in teh same spot fior days, and looks like she is dead, not even visibly breathing and doesnt respond to pokes. But if I pick her up she looks up at me as if to say, "Why did you wake me up?"

Cyclura do not hibernate.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you. He's really shedding now. Last night was just a little flakey around his head. Could that be related? One cool thing I noticed was that he pooped in his water. As I mentioned before, I had never seen him go near it. I was a little more excited than I should have been.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602